C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Cover for Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 06:36 PM
ManFromEagle
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Cover for Steering Wheel

Hi Guys,
I just registered here. Seems like a top notch resource for all my vette questions.

I am currently looking at recovering a steering wheel I just snagged. It it is a thicker later model C3 style wheel. I have looked around and there is a company called WheelSkins that looks to fit the bill without breaking the bank.

Anybody have any tips or comments on these things? They mention on the web site that they custom make a size for the vette. Special order. Do you remove your old cover or does it go over the old one? If it does will it make the wheel much fatter. It's big enough already in my opinion.

Thanks
Old 03-18-2003, 07:54 PM
gmcclurg
Racer

Default Re: New Cover for Steering Wheel (Man from Eagle)

Looks interesting. Here is a link to some instructions I found on line. http://www.dccarcare.com/tipowk/tipowk19.html
You put the new cover over the old cover. I have stitched leather covers on 50" sailboat steering wheels and it is not to hard, just hard on your hands
Old 03-19-2003, 08:42 AM
CORVETTE CRAIG
Instructor

Man from Eagle.
That's a pretty cool way to redo a wheel. I not sure how much one of these cost $$$, but I would think still a little pricey for what you get.
Before I purchased a new steering wheel, I used a standard wheel cover, the kind you thread, that you buy from places like Wal-mart, K-Mart, etc...
It looked great, never had a problem, and only $4.99
Please note, although it looked and worked great, I just wasn't "fulfilled"
untill I bought a new wheel. Do the research - it's cheaper to buy new, than re-cover old. If you plan on getting a new steering wheel someday down the road, You won't feel so bad throwing a cheap one away.
JMHO
As a matter of fact, I have the old wheel on my garage wall, it's now a clock.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:47 PM
ManFromEagle
Instructor

Thanks for the info. The link with the installation instructions gives some good tips and the company selling the Wheelskins list them much cheaper then the actual Wheelskins web site. You can get a two tone version for $32. It was close to $50 at the actual Wheelskins site.

I talked to the Wheelskins people and the custom sizes are the same cost as the standard sizes. I agree this cover will not look exactly like a new wheel but I am actually interested in the ability to have two colors on the wheel. My vette interior is being redone in two colors and I wanted the wheel to match.

Thanks agian for the imput.
:steering:

Get notified of new replies

To New Cover for Steering Wheel

Quick Reply: New Cover for Steering Wheel