C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sidepipes vs regular mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 06:08 PM
RCB69L36
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sidepipes vs regular mufflers

Let's see how much dissention I can create with this topic.

My position: I do not drive the Corvette because it's loud. I drive it because it is a cool looking car and it's fun to drive. In fact, at the ripe old age of 34, I have a problem with ANY car that drives down my block that sounds like open headers. However, the vette came with sidepipes without mufflers or baffles in them. It is quite loud and I am looking at possibly replacing them entirely and going back to stock mufflers. I could go to JCL baffles, but I've listened to a few sound bytes and I don't particularly care for the sound under full throttle.

So, if I go back to stock undercar mufflers, how much HP could I expect to lose? The other thing I don't want is a car that has absolutely NO rumble to it. If I go back to stock undercar, can I still use the Hooker competition headers, or will those have to be changed out as well?

Thoughts, comments?

For the price of the JCL baffles (and selling the sidepipes), I can probably get a whole new set of undercar mufflers.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:12 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: Sidepipes vs regular mufflers (RCB69L36)

You may gain some HP and lose some leg burns :cheers:
Old 03-18-2003, 06:16 PM
new vetter
Pro

Default Re: Sidepipes vs regular mufflers (Alwyn678)

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
Old 03-18-2003, 06:21 PM
RCB69L36
Drifting

Default Re: Sidepipes vs regular mufflers (Alwyn678)

Hmm, I would expect that I would lose HP from the mufflers. Very interesting. And, how about sound levels? What could I expect?

I'm leaning more and more toward pulling them off and going back to the basics.

Thanks.

:thumbs:
Old 03-18-2003, 06:27 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Sidepipes vs regular mufflers (new vetter)

:iagree:

Mine had sidepipes when I acquired it. The mufflers were rusted out and sounded like a war zone. I prefer the look of the stock mufflers and went back to them. I am running a generic turbo muffler on stock manifolds. You can here the nice rumble and everyone knows when I come home, but I can easliy carry a conversation or listen to the radio.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:31 PM
Clink69
Drifting

There are several possibilites while keeping the sidepipes.. You can put Hooker glasspack or reverse flow mufflers which would be quieter. The reverse flows are VERY quiet but also somewhat restrictive. But if your HP is low , it won't matter. This would be the cheapest way.. glasspack and reverse flow are $100-$120 or so... I have an old set of slightly used glasspacks I would sell for $50..(2000miles used. I use the JCLs now , mostly for performance...
Old 03-18-2003, 06:33 PM
Cor6996vette
Racer

With out insert is too loud but with Hooker insert are not that loud and you are not that old . Are you sure you like the look of your car without the side pipe?
Old 03-18-2003, 06:33 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mid-year corvettes up to 67 had chambered sidepipes but 69's actually had mufflers in the sidepipes and were fairly quiet compared to earlyer sidepipes. Check with Scott at C3 shark tank for some inserts for sidepipes.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:44 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 854 Likes on 625 Posts

Default Re: Sidepipes vs regular mufflers (silvervetteman)

I am a real big believer in the JCL baffles and have dyno tests to prove they make more horsepower than about any set-up on a C3 with the possible exception of a 3 inch undercar system with some good straight through mufflers, not a very easy thing to do on a C3. That would be nearly equal in my opinion. The other things to cosider are ground clearance is better with the sidepipes as well as the fact that the cockpit stays cooler with them. Also, if you work on your car it is immensly easier without having to drop the exhaust everytime. My car had undercar when I got it and I wouldn't go back for anything nor would I remove the baffles either. You can also tune the sound of the JCL baffles to your liking by removing all or part of the cap on the incoming end. Bill.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:52 PM
RCB69L36
Drifting

Default Re: Sidepipes vs regular mufflers (myisa69)

With out insert is too loud but with Hooker insert are not that loud and you are not that old . Are you sure you like the look of your car without the side pipe?
I like the look of the sidepipes, but dislike the noise they make. Also, not particular to my kids and wife burning their legs on the Hookers. The 69 has cool styling whether it's got sidepipes or not, so I can go either way on appearance alone.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:30 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you like the side pipes, I would suggest going with the very quiet, but also very restrictive Hooker baffles. These are not much different than stock Corvette mufflers regarding noise.

The JCL's were the only I found I could go with virtually no power loss and maximum ground clearance - but they are not quiet. They do a very good job muffling when compared to open pipes, but they are not anywhere near as quiet as a stock set of mufflers.

Regarding your opinions from sound files, I would take them with a grain of salt. Unless you hear a muffler in person, it really isn't the same thing on a computer recording. Hearing a gunshot or Formula 1 car in person to me is so much different than the recording on TV.

Chuck

p.s. For what it's worth, if you go to my web site, you can hear a brief snippet of their play action.

[Modified by Chuck Harmon, 10:34 PM 3/18/2003]
Old 03-19-2003, 05:30 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

If it's too loud...you're too old! :lolg:

Just kidding ;) You have to be happy with the way ti sounds or else you won't want to drive it! My setup is similar to many others: Headers, 2.5", FLowmaster 40 series and it's plenty loud but still mellow enough to where I can have a conversation (at normal levels) while driving. :thumbs:
Old 03-19-2003, 07:56 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JCL has s/s heat shields for the Hooker side pipes...they look good, and- no more 'rosebuds' on your ankles!
And just some food for thought- I lost 95 h.p. on the dyno runs with Hooker glasspack inserts. JCL's are THE way.
Oh, yeah-and the STOCK GM-style C-3 side exhausts are LOUDER inside the car than the Hooker/JCL's. I know, because I have them both.
P.S.
Under-car exhausts with Flow-Masters and the like reverberate inside the car at certain rpm's like an oil drum. Plus you always 'bottom out' with the under-car systems on C-2's and C-3's.
My opinion.

[Modified by MassVette, 9:58 AM 3/19/2003]
Old 03-19-2003, 08:08 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

If only mine were a big block I'd trade you the entire system :D, I've got headers, 2 1/2 inch to Flowmasters and I love the sound. You can tell it's a muscle car and is very deep but not loud like open pipes.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:17 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Sidepipes vs regular mufflers (MassVette)

I originally had 2 1/2 exuast with flowmasters,then for some ungodly reason i thought i wanted sidepipes,well they were too loud for me,so last night i built a new 2 1/2 exuast with my flowmasters and im happy again,nice rumble with a muscle car sound. :thumbs: hers flowmasters with 2 1/2 exuast 40 series. http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/patsvet...ette_motor.wav

[Modified by patsnitrovette, 8:28 AM 3/19/2003]
Old 03-19-2003, 08:18 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 72 has Hooker side pipe headers W/mufflers. It's a tad quieter than my 77's Dynomax headers, high flow cats, Flowmaster 40's. But the sidepipes came with the car and are very $$$$$$$. Haave you considered Flowmaster 50 series? Quiet rumble....
Eddie
Old 03-19-2003, 08:21 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Sidepipes vs regular mufflers (MassVette)

Max. power- open headers. The undercar ex. on C3 is near ideal, straight out through the crossmember w/ mufflers at end.

:cool:
http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/ganeyexhaust.htm

Many like sidepipes & the reason given over & over again is looks. Maybe the best sidepipe setup can match avg. C3 undercar.
Check out any race cars (other than 50s vintage races w/open sidepipes) & see how many are running sidepipes. Moroso sells spiral or auger type mufflers.
It seems to me that someone has to really like sides to run them.

Get notified of new replies

To Sidepipes vs regular mufflers

Old 03-19-2003, 10:32 AM
RCB69L36
Drifting

Default Re: Sidepipes vs regular mufflers (tshort)

If only mine were a big block I'd trade you the entire system :D, I've got headers, 2 1/2 inch to Flowmasters and I love the sound. You can tell it's a muscle car and is very deep but not loud like open pipes.
Well, mine is not a BB. The car originally had a 427, which I will eventually go back to, but right now it's a 350 SB.
Old 03-19-2003, 10:49 AM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Well, mine is not a BB. The car originally had a 427, which I will eventually go back to, but right now it's a 350 SB.
Well let's talk if you're interested. I sent you an IM.
:cheers:
Old 03-19-2003, 11:14 AM
Weird Science
Instructor

I also have cermaic coated super comp headers and new undercar 3" exhaust all with 3000 miles. I would be interested in a trade as well if you can't work something out with tshort.

I had a talk with my car last night and she told me she wanted sidepipes. Who am I to argue?

Quick Reply: Sidepipes vs regular mufflers