C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

universal alu radiator modified.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 03:06 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default universal alu radiator modified.

Hi
I finally got the NORTHERN universal 28x19 inch alu rad welded in order to properly fit it into my 68 big block.
Both water necks where straight and got welded to the original 45 degree angle. Also the drain fowl is added to this rad now.
I also didn't like the top angled sheet of it and fabricated a nice cover.
It now fits perfect into my 68 .
The first pic shows it beside the original copper rad before modification.
The 2nd pic shows it after welding.
The 3rd pic shows the inlet neck with the water hose from the thermostat housing to the rad routed nicely above the belts. The cover was not fitted jet.
How do you like it ? For 180 US$ , I think it's not bad !
Rgds Gunther

[Modified by WESCH, 2:07 PM 3/18/2003]

[Modified by WESCH, 2:08 PM 3/18/2003]
Old 03-18-2003, 04:26 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: universal alu radiator modified. (WESCH)

Looks good to me, very cool. You will like how good it cools. That's an inexpensive replacement and a good upgrade at the same time.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:02 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

:thumbs: That is a great install regardless of the $$$ Gunther :smash:

Very nicely done :cheers:

[Modified by SmokedTires, 7:03 PM 3/18/2003]
Old 03-23-2003, 01:28 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Hi
Drove the car last Saturday for the first time after winter and all mods.
All works well:
the O-ring brake caliper conversion, perfect, very tight pedal.
the Alu radiator with the double electric fans ( pushers ) are super. The primary fan hardly comes on. Temp stays super cool. No leaks.
the distributor overhaul including the PERTRONIX pointless kit works fine.
Had some problems as I could not set it initial like with the points. Had to start the engine and this gave flames out of the exhaust or the carb ( realy ) till I kept the engine running to get the timing light to work.
the hooker side exhaust mufflers are great. This are tubes with 3 outer baffles and 2 inner ( inside tubes ). The sound is by far the best I had.
A very deep rumbling. Brilliant and not too loud.
Anyway, all work fine, I'm very happy. It's a good 68 big block again.

Happy greetings. Gunther :seeya
Old 03-23-2003, 07:22 PM
java0881
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gunther
nice installation with the alu-welding.which fans are you using? :cheers:
Old 03-23-2003, 07:52 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

I did this already and instead of modifying either neck went to the parts supplier and after going through his hoses found an upper that fit perfectly and it had the angle built in the hose. For the bottom I made up a 45 or 90 can't remember and used the stock hose and 4 hose clamps to make a factory looking installation. I avoided modifying the rad in case I had a warranty claim.
Old 03-23-2003, 08:06 PM
java0881
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: universal alu radiator modified. (norvalwilhelm)

For the bottom I made up a 45 or 90 can't remember and used the stock hose and 4 hose clamps to make a factory looking installation. I avoided modifying the rad in case I had a warranty claim.
same here,i couldnt find any hoses that fit,so i used a 90' for the upper and a 45'elbow for the lower hose. :cheers:
Old 03-24-2003, 09:27 AM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did this already and instead of modifying either neck went to the parts supplier and after going through his hoses found an upper that fit perfectly and it had the angle built in the hose. For the bottom I made up a 45 or 90 can't remember and used the stock hose and 4 hose clamps to make a factory looking installation. I avoided modifying the rad in case I had a warranty claim.
Norval, did you find an upper hose with a bend that clears the alternator? That's always been the problem with big blocks and the straight outlet radiators. Is your alternator in the stock location?
Old 03-25-2003, 01:34 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Default Re: universal alu radiator modified. (java0881)

Hi
OK, warranty didn't matter to me as shipping this rad back to the USA from Europe would cost more than getting it repaired over here.
The welding is easy and should not be so costly. Was all finished within 1/2 hrs. Of course, I had the new alu necks ready ( correct size alu tubing ), which is the more difficult part of the job. ( to find those ).

java0881, I'm using a double pusher fan set up from a diesel powered RENAULT van, I found at the scrap jard.
The setup has the correct lenght for this rad and it installs nicely to the front of the rad against the strengthening cross bars.
If during summer, this isn't enough cooling, I have a big electric fan that fits into the original shroud and could be installed behind the rad as a puller to assist. Time will tell.
Presently, one of the small fans is automatically controlled by a thermo switch installed near the thermostat housing in the intake . Setting is 95-90 C.
This brings the water temp to just above 200 F and stopps again at 190 F.
The thermostat is a 160 F unit.
The 2nd small fan is also automatically operated by a second thermo switch installed in the R/H valve head and comes on at only 230 F, but can be manually overridden with a switch under the dashboard.
Both fans have curved blades and therefore should only operate in one direction, unlike some other setups that can turn either way making it easier to use them as pushers or pullers.
I like the idea of having 2 fans as some kind of a back up in case one fails.

Rgds Gunther

:seeya
Old 03-25-2003, 08:43 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Default Re: universal alu radiator modified. (Flareside)

Flareside My alternator was moved right at the beginning to the passengers side. I don't have air and I couldn't see leaving it sitting on top of the power steering pump. They are easy to move.
Maybe that is why I had no problems finding the proper hose to fit the straight outlet of the rad. For the bottom I couldn't find the proper fitting hose so I took 1 1/2 inch stainless, cut it on a 45 or something and heilarced it back together and used 2 pieces of hose.
While I am sure I can do a beautiful job of heli arcing a rad I couldn't collect warranty if it was faulty after welding.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:51 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Norval! For a moment, I thought you had found the Holy Grail of upper radiator hoses :) The search continues...

Get notified of new replies

To universal alu radiator modified.

Quick Reply: universal alu radiator modified.