C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the derision for C3's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 12:08 PM
goofygrin
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why the derision for C3's?

I was out of my way yesterday (helping the wife get her car from the shop) and passed Corvettes of Dallas.

I stopped in to see if they had any C3's... None. Nothing older than '90.

I asked if they had any and they were like "Why would you want one?"

They have 15-20 C5's and I passed at least 50 more on the way home. Heck, there are 5 C5's on my block.

THAT's why I want one.

Why the hate to the better looking car?

:mad
Old 03-18-2003, 12:14 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Why the derision for C3's? (goofygrin)

Everyone wants the cool new thing. Look at how many C5's are for sale. They've lost their novelty. Same thing with this war. At first people are very supportive, but then once the novelty of being patriotic wears off, the morons want to be part of another group. I've always said that most people are nothing more than lemmings. Too fickle and never happy. People with some creativity and imagination are the ones that have C3's. I never knew that there were so many people into custom C3's like I am until I got on here. This froum is great. The people are cool and share a common interest-to be different than the "sheep". Anyway, let them have the C5's. Not all of them are bad, but the truth is that most C5 people aren't real Corvette people or car people for that matter....Just my "humble" opinion....... :rant:
Old 03-18-2003, 12:24 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Re: Why the derision for C3's? (79VetteMike)

Well, I don't know if I would equate the perception to war but there is a valid reason. C4s and C5s are cash cars, meaning that there is a broad market and they are easy to turn. The market for C3s (as well as the C2s and C1s) is much smaller due to various reasons (recognition, financing, fear of maintenance, fear of driving, misunderstandings and rhumor, the puzzy factor...). There are quite a few "Corvette" dealers that won't touch anything below a year cut off. A C3 may be on the lot for months. A C5 will probably only sit for a week or two.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:26 PM
wallyknoch
Pro

Most of the C3`s were victums of GM. Horsepower stopped in 1970, and slowly went downhill. In 1973, when the Jews kicked the s--- out of the Arabs gas went sky high and Vettes continued downward on horsepower and automatic trans cars with air conditioning boomed . 4 speeds became rare and still production went higher. Styling became confused and they kept adding junk to the same body year after year. The amazing thing is that they were still selling. To me they turned into a womans car. Now look whats happening, the horsepower race is back on and a cheap choice to modernize with todays engines. :D
Old 03-18-2003, 12:34 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The owner of Corvettes of Dallas has a son who runs Corvette World in San Antonio. He ships his "low-price" cars from Dallas to San Antonio. This includes C3s and most C4s. According to the fellow here in San Antonio, the high-price cars like C1s, C2s and C5s sell in Dallas, and the less expensive models sell down here.

Go figure.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:29 PM
White 68
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would prefer to buy from an individual that has owned the car for awhile and knows its history then from a dealer ....There are lots of c3,s for sale check out ebay and other websites ..they have really opened up your choice of cars ..Good luck :cheers:
Old 03-19-2003, 07:12 PM
Marc80
Racer

I bought a Black 1980 for $7500 that seemed to be in decent shape. I assumed that I could put a couple K into it and have a great car. As with many others on the forum, once I got started I ran up material bills to around $10,000. It now has new suspension, brakes, engine, transmission, and many other new or rebuilt parts. I will have a free body and paint redo thanks to one of Florida's 90 year old drivers that pulled right out in front of me. It will be almost a new car. What had seemed like it was decent at 7500 really deserved the upgrade. Just a warning. If you aren't inclined to take on a project find one that someone else toiled over and that you can get for around $15-20K. Most cars at around 7k will need about 10k added before long. As far as gas prices, who cares. You will love driving so much that you will be happy to spend the money for gas. It is still only 5 cents a quarter mile and worth every penny in entertainment and enjoyment value. I hope you find something good. Don't be afraid to ask someone who has reworked one about costs.

Best wishes :flag
Old 03-19-2003, 07:16 PM
Marc80
Racer

By the way. I sat in a c5 about 2 weeks before I bought my C3. I spent a fraction of the money. Ended up with similar HP after rebuild. I would WAY prefer the c3. The c4 doesn't even compare. They are a dime a dozen and some even look like my Nissan in my opinion. C3's are WAY cooler and recognized as a classic even though they arent. Another good thing about the late 80's. They were dogs (HP) and you can get the cheap enough not to have to keep them stock. I got a 425 hp 350 from AR racing for $2700. I love it. Contact me at email http://www.elitewoodwork@msn if any questions
-Marc
Old 03-19-2003, 07:33 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I would not use the word derision. When a nice one is presented people are fascinated by them. But they are simply old cars and need a lot of TLC and maintenance/repair. And in today's society, patience and TLC are not in abundance. Sadly so in my opinion. So little time, so little money, so much stress. So lease or buy a C5. And drive for $500/month. Join road rage :rant: . Little maintenance, nice creature comforts, good gas mileage and the like. At least until the PCM blows....

Or be patient and restore a C3. Those curves have never been duplicated in ANY car. It is a design of timeless beauty!

[Modified by paul79, 7:36 PM 3/19/2003]
Old 03-19-2003, 07:53 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Re: Why the derision for C3's? (paul79)

Altho I like all Corvettes, I grew-up with the C3s. I'd been thinking of eventually trading my '82 for a C5 (C6?) someday, until my girlfriend said, "WHY? You can get ANOTHER C3, and save yourself another $20,000!" I impulsively said, "Hell, YES! At THAT rate, I can get TWO more C3s, AND keep my '82!" The C1s & C2s have great character and collectibility, but (IMHO) the C3s are THE sexiest-looking cars built! The C4s never 'grew' on me; almost too 'Japanese-looking' (RX7, Nissan, etc.) for my tastes.
Old 03-19-2003, 11:03 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that being a dealer of the older cars requires more knowledge and training to know what is or isn't original. It takes more experience to know which engines were or weren't available when and HOW TO TELL which is which. The later cars had one, maybe 2 engines available. If a totally different engine was shoe horned into the car, it's usually pretty obvious. But the earlier cars, especially the early sharks there were 4 and 5 different engines and option combos available (or not). Whether it's real or faked makes a big difference in car cost and value. You can't just be a generic used car salesman (or purchaser) and expect to make money at it... At least that's my opinion on why many don't get involved with the C3s. :smash:
Old 03-20-2003, 12:00 AM
Merlin522
Safety Car

Default Re: Why the derision for C3's? (Juliet)

Come on now, everyone knows our cars have no power! :lol: :smash:
Old 03-20-2003, 01:00 AM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Let's face it. Park a C5 vert near a C3 vette. I gaurentee more people will stop to look at the C3 than the C5. The C3 definitely has curbside appeal and will get the most looks any and every time. It was a wierd feeling after I purchased my vert and people would gawk and say things like wow and :cool:, ask questions and last but not least either blow their horns or wave. Didnt know what it meant until I joined the forum last year.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:12 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Why the derision for C3's? (wallyknoch)

To me they turned into a womans car.
Hey Wallyknoch.

My wife resents that comment :lol:
Old 03-20-2003, 01:14 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Why the derision for C3's? (Merlin522)

Come on now, everyone knows our cars have no power! :lol: :smash:
Steve...

I'm convinced you are the one who drug us borderline *speedfreaks* over the edge. What's your address so I can send you a class action lawsuit? :cheers:

[Modified by bgrice, 6:15 AM 3/20/2003]
Old 03-20-2003, 07:14 AM
Love My 72 and 77
Drifting

I was out of my way yesterday (helping the wife get her car from the shop) and passed Corvettes of Dallas.

I stopped in to see if they had any C3's... None. Nothing older than '90.

I asked if they had any and they were like "Why would you want one?"

They have 15-20 C5's and I passed at least 50 more on the way home. Heck, there are 5 C5's on my block.

THAT's why I want one.

Why the hate to the better looking car?

:mad
I think a proper response would have been"Because I have a wod of cash burning a hole in my pocket and I wanted to buy a C3 today" Thank you GOODBYE

[Modified by Love My 72 and 77, 12:41 PM 3/20/2003]
Old 03-20-2003, 07:27 AM
SEE3ER
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

:iagree: :flag

Get notified of new replies

To Why the derision for C3's?

Old 03-20-2003, 05:46 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,479 Likes on 768 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Our club is mixed with all generations. When we do shows, my '78 Pace gets far more attention than any C4 or C5. Mind you, I like all of the generations, they all have their own appeal, but at any show the modern era Vettes just don't get the attention. Likewise at a show last year my car was getting all of the attention unitl a '62 and a '54 arrived. Last Sunday night I parked at the local grocery behind a C5 out in the lot. While talking to the owner I had three different cars stop, two of the cars occupants got out to look at my car, and never once went beyond mine to look at the brand new (no plates on yet) C5. Personally, I would love on from each generation; that would be a neat collection!
Old 03-20-2003, 05:57 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have'nt run into that problem. :D

Hans
Old 03-20-2003, 06:28 PM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

...Anyway, let them have the C5's. Not all of them are bad, but the truth is that most C5 people aren't real Corvette people or car people for that matter....Just my "humble" opinion....... :rant:
I must agree with that. Though, last summer I was snubed by a guy in a C2. I wonder if its the same cross generation thing, though that donsn't make sense, cuase if you get a C2 then I'm ASSUMING you are into the history of the car.

Quick Reply: Why the derision for C3's?