C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine gurus.... another question

Old 03-18-2003, 09:39 AM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Engine gurus.... another question

Since I am now debating buying a new block for my TPI conversion, I'm entertaining the idea of just buying a 383 short block, using the cam (xe256) that I was going to use on the 350 and reuse the stock heads along with the stock L98 intake and runners.

Over time, I'll be able to afford new heads and aftermarket intake and runners.

So, first off I know that I'd be better off just buying it all at once, but I can't afford it. I've got about $1500 that I could put into a block or heads, I just hate to build up an old abused block (140,000+ miles) and rebuilding it is almost as expensive as some of the short blocks out there.

Any comments on how this would perform in the interim until I get better heads and intake/runners?

Any recommendations as to where to buy a good solid short block for a reasonable price?

Am I wasting time and money thinking about the 383 and should I just put new rings and bearings in the old motor and hope for the best?

OK.... please help. :):)
Old 03-18-2003, 09:53 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Engine gurus.... another question (phoenix)

The TPI was designed for a 305 & can barely feed a 350, much less a 383. Not enough for 383, nor is that cam enough for 383. Since you want TPI & budget, rebuild the 350.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:21 AM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I concur with Ganey's assesment. What are your goals? Do you want a lot more power? Better fuel economy? A little of both? If I know what your intent is then I can make better recommendations.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:08 PM
wallyknoch
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Listen to the others above, A 383 would be nice, but give it some compression and a good solid lifter camshaft for RPM`s. Fancy heads work best at higher RPM`s and would be a waste of money without the two mentioned above. {compression and cam}. You would then need a tailored fuel induction system to match the rest or you wont be satisfied. A cheap alternative as long as it`s together is to drive the Vette and enjoy. Be carefull of those $99.00 rebuild kits, theres more to it than that. Go over the above posts again. :)

Get notified of new replies

To Engine gurus.... another question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine gurus.... another question