C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Underhood cable on an 82

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 08:56 AM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Underhood cable on an 82

One of the things I read quite frequently is "HELP, my hood won't open".

I don't know if the problem is the cable release under the dash, or the cross hood cable release.

Anyway, to avoid that event happening to me, I am going to replace my cross hood cable. But the one on the 82 is 44" long and winds in and out, over the top of the distributor, etc. Looks stupid. Why not just a simple across the back of the engine bay cable. Of course, getting the right length is important, but it looks to me like a 77 cable would be perfect fit. 37-1/2" long. It would go straight across back and either over, under or through that cover on the passenger side that the a/c relay is attached to. Any 82 owner tried that swap?
Old 03-18-2003, 09:13 AM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Re: Underhood cable on an 82 (Larry82)

Mine broke last year. I replaced it with an off the shelf choke cable that I cut to fit across the back of the fire wall. It's worked flawlessly so far. BTW, my original didn't wrap around anything like you're describing - perhaps yours isn't the correct one anyway (or mine wasn't).

:smash:
Old 03-18-2003, 11:13 AM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Underhood cable on an 82 (Avette4me)

Actually, the correct underhood cable is 44" long if I remember correctly, and it attaches the top of the distributor cover and then winds around the front of the a/c relay and related cover. Could never figure why such a long cable.

Get notified of new replies

To Underhood cable on an 82

Quick Reply: Underhood cable on an 82