C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fiberglass rear spring experience... anyone got a spare right rocker panel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 11:08 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Fiberglass rear spring experience... anyone got a spare right rocker panel?

WOW. You guys weren't kidding when they were talking about a bouncy ride! I hope my new shocks get here soon. Throwing the car into a corner it feels a lot smoother now, though. Really like the feel, other than the bounce.

No problems during install, other than a jacking issue... let me sum it up, does anyone have a spare 78-79 right (passenger) rocker panel? Aluminum with black stripe in the screw area...

Thanks in advance...

*edit* Also - I've put about 25 miles on the spring since I installed it. Do you think this is a safe window to believe it won't crack? I put it through a couple hard corners, and no weirdness.

-Steve

[Modified by Pacin'California, 8:09 PM 3/17/2003]
Old 03-18-2003, 01:34 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Fiberglass rear spring experience... anyone got a spare right rocker panel? (Pacin'California)

How did you screw up the rocker panel????

Sorry to hear this. :cry
Old 03-18-2003, 01:42 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Fiberglass rear spring experience... anyone got a spare right rocker panel? (Desertdawg)

Jack slipped. :( :( :( :( :(

Luckily, the side damage is not too bad. Guess Zaino saved my car.

The old 7-leaf sitting on the garage floor. It's actually a 2 1/4" spring, they used spacers just like I did w/ my new spring. Funny, huh?

The new spring installed. Picture shows the point I'm worried about.

-Steve
Old 03-18-2003, 04:56 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Fiberglass rear spring experience... anyone got a spare right rocker panel? (Pacin'California)

Are you worried about the exhaust being close to the spring?? Why not get a heat shield from an 82 Corvette? The shield bolts to the camber bracket under the differential.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:22 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Get some KYB GR2s or Bilstein Sports and your bouncing will subside. Install the metal heat shield from VB or fab your own from sheet metal. Unless your spring has impact damage, odds are it will serve you for a long time with no problems.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:29 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

hey steve! so you like so far? i still want to go fiberglass but i just thought that 360# was a bit much for what i wanted. but how does it ride compared to your old spring?
sorry to hear about the rocker panel.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:54 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Fiberglass rear spring experience... anyone got a spare right rocker panel? (clutchdust)

Clutchdust- Aside from the bounce, I'd say it actually rides softer than my 7-leaf. When you go into a corner though, it is a whole lot smoother(and uses the tires better) than the old spring does. I also lowered the car about 1/2" -1" in the rear when I did the spring. I'm guessing overall height of the car to be right around 46" now. Thanks so much for the spring, man. For a second there I even forgot that I bought it from someone. It had been in my room so long, I thought maybe it came with our house. :) You really ought to give one of these springs a try though. Only other thing I'd like to try is a "new" 7-leaf spring to see how it compares. My old 7-leaf was in pretty damn good shape though.

Ed - I'll go out and do that this morning. Thanks for the reminder! :)

TT- The spring is doing fine underneath the differential. I have non stock pipe routing due to the true duals, and I was worried about the area pictured. It's on the driver's side, but I drove the car roughly 25 miles, and it seems to have done all right. As you can see, the offending area was wrapped w/ thermal wrap. When I get my exhaust redone sometime in the future (true dual 2.5" as opposed to 2.25"), I'll force the mechanic(under penalty of death) to give me some clearance there!

Flyn- Ordered the Bilstein Sports last week. They are on the way. :)

Thanks everybody! I'm probably going to order the new rocker panels from TLD.

-Steve

Old 03-18-2003, 01:00 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kinda looks like my rocker panel...
Old 03-18-2003, 01:09 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I meant this plate, it's stock on the 82 (maybe 80 & 81 too??) and it protects the stock composite spring from heat.

Old 03-18-2003, 01:39 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Fiberglass rear spring experience... anyone got a spare right rocker panel? (Twin_Turbo)

I have something similar. Don't know why my car has it, but it goes right under the differential and is ABOUT the same size/shape.

That's why I'm not worried about the passenger side pipe routing. The driver's side pipe(pictured) is the one area I was worried about. I think it'll be okay tho.

-Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Fiberglass rear spring experience... anyone got a spare right rocker panel?

Quick Reply: Fiberglass rear spring experience... anyone got a spare right rocker panel?