C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

synthetic oil - blend - (homebrew)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 10:49 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default synthetic oil - blend - (homebrew)

We have beaten the synthetic oil topic to death, but I was wondering if it made sense to mix a couple of quarts of Mobil 1 with the dino oil at the next oil change. The oils are fully compatible I believe. After all, they do sell a synthetic blend which is basically the same thing isnt it? Why would I want to do that? I dont know..... just being consistent. I do everything half-ashed! :lol: MJ
Old 03-17-2003, 11:05 PM
BacaBill
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: synthetic oil - blend - (MNJack)

From what I have been told (by Mobil) is that Mobil1 is ONLY compatible with other Mobil products. Not sure if it's true but like you said, they already make the Blend,, just use it the way it's packaged as far as I'm concerned.
Bill
Old 03-18-2003, 08:06 AM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: synthetic oil - blend - (BacaBill)

Also Mark I've read synthetic blends are actually only 10-15% synthetic depending on the oil company.
You can raise the % to whatever you want by doing your own mixing of dino and synthetic.

I go 100% synthetic in all my vehicles.

[Modified by 69er, 8:09 AM 3/18/2003]
Old 03-18-2003, 09:21 AM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was told that the "blend" is just 20%. I have added 1 quart of mobil 1 to the 4 qts. of dino, no problem...
Old 03-18-2003, 01:03 PM
1971corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 84 Posts

amsoil only for me = FULL SYNTHETIC :steering: :steering: :steering: :steering: :steering: :steering: :steering: :steering: :steering: :steering: :steering: :steering: :steering: :steering: :steering: :steering: :steering: :steering: :steering: :steering:
Old 03-18-2003, 05:50 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

What would you hope to achieve?
Old 03-18-2003, 05:56 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: synthetic oil - blend - (1971corvette)

i agree with 1971corvette. Only amsoil in our personal cars and trucks.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:47 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: synthetic oil - blend - (Van Steel)

They already make the blend, so I'd go with that. I personally wouldn't use synthetic in a well used motor, as it has a tendency to slip by seals, especially old worn out ones. With a new motor, the best thing to do is run regular oil for the first 5,000 miles, and then go to synthetic. Just my $.02 :cheers:
Old 03-18-2003, 08:22 PM
Clink69
Drifting

Where do I get Amsoil and Dino oil? I have never seen these anywhere, well Wlamart anyway.... :lol:
Old 03-19-2003, 03:54 AM
LS1-Corvette00
Safety Car

Default Re: synthetic oil - blend - (Ryan77)

:iagree: completely
Old 03-19-2003, 09:45 AM
Van Steel

What you heard about the synthic slipping through seals is correct BUT they probably used Mobil 1. Mobil 1 is known for shrinking the seals and causing leaks. Amsoil expands and gives a better seal. You'll have to find an Amsoil dealer to get it. We have a local guy here that works on deisels and he carries it. Expensive but worth it.
Old 03-19-2003, 10:08 AM
LS1-Corvette00
Safety Car

I will stick with Mobil-1 reguardless.... (in the C5 of course..) In the C3...
good old Dino works for me.

Old 03-19-2003, 12:01 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

What you heard about the synthic slipping through seals is correct BUT they probably used Mobil 1. Mobil 1 is known for shrinking the seals and causing leaks. Amsoil expands and gives a better seal. You'll have to find an Amsoil dealer to get it. We have a local guy here that works on deisels and he carries it. Expensive but worth it.
Interesting.... what I hope to accomplish by combining synthetic with "dino" oil (short for "dinosaur", meaning traditional oil, not a brand name) is achieving the benefits of synthetic while avoiding the leaks. Basically I would like to try synthetic in my 68 bigblock but I am afraid of leaks, so I thought I might try 2qts synthetic, 4 qts regular next oil change and see how it goes... If it seems ok, maybe try 100% synthetic next time. MJ
Old 03-19-2003, 12:29 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: (MNJack)

Not to re-beat a very dead horse, but- I've got an open challenge for ANYONE to show me HARD PROOF that synthetic oils make engines last longer than regular 'dino' oils.

I don't want advertizing claims or biased results from manufacturers. I want real life stuff demonstrating how long an engine type typically lasts using dino oil, how it failed, and compare this to how the same engine type behaved using synthetics.

This challenge has been open for ten years, nobody has been able to come up with the proof yet. Somehow I don't think I'll ever get any.

:lurk:
Old 03-19-2003, 12:35 PM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: (Mike Ward)

Better start up flow in cold weather,better heat handling capability in hot weather and additives don't wear as fast as conventional oil.
I use Amsoil synthetics in my engine,trans and rear.
Just my .02

[Modified by 69er, 12:37 PM 3/19/2003]
Old 03-19-2003, 02:19 PM
Touringpro
Racer

. . . BUT they probably used Mobil 1. Mobil 1 is known for shrinking the seals and causing leaks. . .
This is complete :bs in fact the issue is addressed by ExxonMobil in the FAQ section of their website:

Myth: Mobil 1 will leak out of the seals of older cars.

Reality: Mobil 1 does not cause leaks. In fact, new Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ was tested in dozens of industry standard and OEM tests to prove its seal performance. It is fully compatible with the elastomeric materials from which all automotive seals and gaskets are made.

ExxonMobil engineers are wary of conventional oils that tout their use of additional seal-swelling agents. With extended use, these agents can over-soften engine seals, resulting in leaks. More to the point, an oil additive will not rejuvenate worn or damaged seals. The damaged seal may have been caused by a worn rotating metal component in the engine.

If an older engine is in good condition and does not have oil leaks, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ provides the same advantages as when used in a new engine. ExxonMobil recommends taking measures to repair the leaks, then using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™. ExxonMobil also always recommends following the automobile manufacturer's manual for the proper oil to use.

Regarding AMSOIL. Their product line is excellent, but the 'lubrication fundamentalist' attitudes of some of their mullahs . . . er dealers . . . really chap my butt. BTW, I used to be an AMSOIL Preferred Customer but bagged it when Amatuzio insisted upon trying to sell me his f%#&ing vitamins too. :mad

Old 03-21-2003, 10:15 AM
Van Steel

Default Re: synthetic oil - blend - (Touringpro)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is complete in fact the issue is addressed by ExxonMobil in the FAQ section of their website:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Than why has GM called back some cars using Mobil 1 for leaks

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To synthetic oil - blend - (homebrew)

Quick Reply: synthetic oil - blend - (homebrew)