C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion on KBD Targa muflers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 10:39 PM
bn7035
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion on KBD Targa muflers?

I know most of the guys here seem to like flowmaster mufflers but I hate to always follow the crowd. Are the Targa mufflers any good? I'm not to concerned about HP gains.....I'm like the Harley Davidson guys.....I like a good sounding exhaust.

Old 03-17-2003, 11:37 PM
79corvette
Racer

Default Re: Opinion on KBD Targa muflers? (bn7035)

I have those "mufflers". I use quotes because they do very little muffling lol. I was next to a C2 with side pipes and it sounded just like that, just a little louder. It did muffler my car compared to when I was running it without mufflers though. Here's a pic. Hope you can see them in the pic, looks kind of dark.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:59 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

I'm like the Harley Davidson guys.....I like a good sounding exhaust.
Good sound Harley exhaust, isn't that an oxymoron?
Old 03-19-2003, 05:51 PM
Ghostrider
Pro

I had KBD Targa muflers and even though they had nice sound, they didn't last long. Rusted brackets that broke on both mufflers after 2 years (I had 3 rubber hung supports of system with twin pipes) I dumped them in the bin and bought SS Borlas which sounded louder and had deeper sound that is much better. I've had SS Borlas for 4 years now and would never buy a Targa set again. JMHO.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:25 AM
Ben Taylor
Pro

Default Re: Opinion on KBD Targa muflers? (Ghostrider)

My brackets also broke after 2 years, but I just made my own replacements. If I had to do it over I would just get straight pipes. I doubt anyone is going to say a Corvette is to loud.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:58 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Opinion on KBD Targa muflers? (Ghostrider)

I had KBD Targa muflers and even though they had nice sound, they didn't last long. Rusted brackets that broke on both mufflers after 2 years (I had 3 rubber hung supports of system with twin pipes) I dumped them in the bin and bought SS Borlas which sounded louder and had deeper sound that is much better. I've had SS Borlas for 4 years now and would never buy a Targa set again. JMHO.
IMO they are junk indeed. They are annoyingly loud and I really don't like the sound. I like loud but those just made a ruckus. I got some Borla SS mufflers too (same as ghostriders) and they sounded awesome. I sold them because they were a tad too small for my new system but I always loved them. Very deep rumble, great sounds even at idle and a big roar when on the throttle.

Borla SS sound

[Modified by Twin_Turbo, 3:59 AM 3/20/2003]
Old 03-20-2003, 09:59 AM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Opinion on KBD Targa muflers? (Twin_Turbo)

I'm with Twin-Turbo.

I have the same ones on my car and they sound great. Just loud enough, no resonance, nice controlled rumble on hard acceleration, you can hear the car coming from about a half block away, but it is a deep sound, not a blasting sound.
Old 03-20-2003, 10:58 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Opinion on KBD Targa muflers? (Larry82)

Larry, I don't think we have the same ones. Mine (like Ghostriders) are completely stainless and the outlet pipes are welded to the muffler body. I think I remember yours had a black muffler w/ stainess tips pop riveted to the end or am I wrong? Could be the overall design of the muffler is the same though.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:38 AM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had them on my 1987 Vette and I would not recommend them. They sounded good but within roughly a year started to get rusty. I remember being very disappointed with them.

I hope to get a C3 sometime this summer, and I am planning on going with the stainless Dynomax.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:14 PM
Gator81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had 'em, but not for long. Just too damn loud.

I enjoyed the sound at idle or at slow cruise through town, but out on the highway it wasn't possible to carry on a conversation in the car, even with the windows rolled up, and my car's a coupe, not a vert.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinion on KBD Targa muflers?

Quick Reply: Opinion on KBD Targa muflers?