C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE: Brake Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 05:55 PM
cruisin_davey_g
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brake Project

Hi: I'm new to the "Corvette Forum" & I'm hoping a fellow "Corvetter" can help me out. I'm presently starting a brake project on a C-3. I want to have a set of brake calipers powder coated & need to know if anyone can tell me if I should have the stainless sleeves installed before having the powder coating done. I'm being told that if the sleeves are pressed into the piston bores before the "coating" process, there is a good chance that the sleeves may become warped or distorded, because of the heating process needed to cure the powder coating. On the other hand, if I wait & have the stainless sleeves pressed into the calipers after the powder coating is done, then there's a good chance that the "jaws" of the jig needed to secure the calipers in order to press the sleeves into the piston bores will damage the powder coating. Sounds like a "catch-22" situation, doesn't it? Anybody that's been there, I'd like to know your views on this. Thanx much in advance! You can either reply to this message or e-mail me at cruzzin_davey_g@yahoo.com.

Old 03-17-2003, 06:23 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Brake Project (cruisin_davey_g)

I could be wrong, but I don't think the powdercoating process will produce enough heat to warp the stainless steel linings. Your brakes generally see a tremendous amount of heat anyway. I am not sure what temp they bake the powdercoating, but you can call any company and ask.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:41 PM
cruisin_davey_g
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Brake Project (79VetteMike)

Hi Mike: Hey, thanx much for your input. The temp used in the powder coating curing process is about 425 degrees. Doesn't sound like much & shouldn't hurt the stainless sleeve. But, since there's considerable costs involved, I'm not too sure that I want to chance it right now. Mid America says that it shouldn't hurt the sleeve (but the rub is that "shouldn't" word). Anyway, I know that this can be done (having corvette calipers powder coated), but not real sure on the exact method for doing so. So, if there's anybody else out there that's "In the know" on this subject......Hey, I'm all ears! Thanx again, Mike. Dave (God Bless The USA!)

Get notified of new replies

To RE: Brake Project

Quick Reply: RE: Brake Project