C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy a new block?

Old 03-17-2003, 03:49 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Should I buy a new block?

I'm FINALLY going to pull the engine to do the cam swap, TPI conversion.

Now I am reconsidering the block once again.

Should I bother cleaning the block, painting it, new rings and bearings, new cam, timing chain and then put back the stock heads?

Money is becoming a serious issue, but man would a 383 or a new complete 350 look nice.

Basically.... I need advice. The engine is coming out either way.
I can return the cam/lifters/timing chain that I bought and that would get me about $300 toward something...

Advice???
Old 03-17-2003, 07:07 PM
sharkthehunter77
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Should I buy a new block? (phoenix)

I am sort of in the same boat. i started out just wanting to do a cam swap, but once i took a good look at the lifter valley and saw evidence of a couple long spells between oil changes i knew i needed a new block. notice i said "needed" instead of "wanted". I think thats the determining factor. I never had any engine trouble but it is approaching 100,000 miles and a new block offers much peice of mind. i am just buying a disassembled bottom end though. Flat toppistons( read my other post), clean up the heads myself( not porting, just good cleaning) and reinstall the performer manifolds and cam. the car should run like a champ as long as she properly assembled and broken in.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:28 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

if you have the room to stick an engine in the corner, i'm a huge fan of replacement blocks. it gives you the liberty to really put the power into the car and gives you a bit of peace of mind while your at it. why put alot of money into your original engine and then spit a rod out the side because you were driving it like it was meant, or worse, not drive it like you bought it for. not to mention the benifit of being able to build an engine while your still able to drive the car and keep downtime to a minimum. :thumbs:
Old 03-17-2003, 07:37 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 387 Likes on 235 Posts

Default Re: Should I buy a new block? (clutchdust)

I'd say stay with the 350 because it will be choked enough without the 33ci's The stock TPI flows to 4,800rpms where it stops pulling. I learned this first hand with my '91. I stepped up to the Lingenfalter Super Ram and 58mm Throttle Body and it rev's all the way to 6,000rpms.

But then again with those long runners and 383ci, it would be a hoot around town, first gear would be scary! :eek:
Old 03-17-2003, 08:28 PM
69stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is always the piece of mind! If everything else is going to be new, why not the block? You can also get a 1-pc. rear seal which is better then the 2 piece. What is the price difference after decking, honing. cleaning, etc?

Get notified of new replies

To Should I buy a new block?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I buy a new block?