C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xmsn help

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 03:49 PM
mitch11
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xmsn help

I got started this weekend to replace the clutch in my '69, but for the life of me I can get the transmission out. I have the xmsn slightly off the crossmember, and I removed the 4 bolts from the xmsn flange to the bell housing. For some reason, no matter how much jiggling or prodding I do, I can't seperate the xmsn from the bellhousing. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

:banghead:
Old 03-17-2003, 08:18 PM
Clink69
Drifting

Default Re: xmsn help (mitch11)

Do you have the driveshaft disconnected? Sometimes you have to change the angle slightly to get it off. Sometimes jacking the engine slightly will help..
Old 03-18-2003, 07:31 AM
mitch11
8th Gear

Default Re: xmsn help (Clink69)

Yea, the driveshaft is off. I've tried jacking up the engine, but nothing I've tried will let me seperate the two.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:45 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: xmsn help (mitch11)

so are you trying to remove the trans with the engine and crossmember still in place? can i assume the trans crossmember is still original (welded in place)? i do not believe your going to be able to remove the trans that way if that is the case. i don't have any idea what the factory was thinking but there is really no provision for removing the trans on a manual tranny car prior to 1980. since mine has the removable crossmember i haven't run into this problem but i've done a couple clutches and cannot imagine doing this job with the crossmember in place.

Get notified of new replies

To xmsn help

Quick Reply: xmsn help