C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear caliper mounting plate

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 12:05 PM
79corvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear caliper mounting plate

The plate that the caliper mounts to on the passenger side rear has stripped threads in it. Do I need to buy all of the special tools that ecklers advertises to pull the bearings out to get the plate off for replacement? If I need to get those tools do you think it would be cheaper just to buy the whole assembly from echklers with the bearings and spindle?
Thanks for the help.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:55 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Default Re: Rear caliper mounting plate (79corvette)

The plate is sandwiched in between the bearing housing and spindle flange. You'll have to take it all apart to replace it. Can you reach it with a Heli-coil instead?
Gary
Old 03-17-2003, 01:14 PM
79corvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Rear caliper mounting plate (gtr1999)

What is a Heli-coil? I take it, since it is in between the everything, that means I must take all of the bearings out(really don't want to hear the answere to be yes).
Old 03-17-2003, 01:32 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The caliper bolts are 7/16. You could retap for 1/2 inch and open the holes in the caliper for the oversize 1/2 inch bolts. This can be done on the car once the caliper and rotor are removed, YOu could not have to drill the stripped hole, just run the tap through.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:08 PM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Rear caliper mounting plate (norvalwilhelm)

Mine were stripped out too. Helicoil to the rescue. You shouldn't have to take it apart, but it would probably help if you could get the rotor off in order to drill out for the helicoil.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:46 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Heli-Coils and various similar products are thread repair items. They come in a kit which you can get from an industrial supplier or auto parts store. The Heli-coils come with a special tap that you use to install the coil. The coil is a hard wire with the ID threads ground to the repair size and the OD ground to special tap size. Once installed you should not have a problem with them.
As Norval suggested you can go up to the next size bolt and tap it for that too, I just like keeping the same size bolts all around. It will save you a couple of bucks too if you tap to a larger size hole.
Either way is much easier and a LOT less money then removing the spindle.
Good luck,
Gary
Old 03-18-2003, 07:48 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

If you want to check the price of heli-coils try this site http://www.mscdirect.com
Gary
Old 03-18-2003, 04:36 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

How do they do that?

Heli-coil kits come with several pieces.

A drill bit
A special tap
A thread repair insert
A thread repair insert "insertion tool".

Sometimes, the kit does not include the drill bit.... then you have to buy that separately.

First you drill out the messed up hole/thread with the drill bit to the oversize required for the thread insert. Then you use the special tap provided in the kit to thread the hole. Then you use the "insertion" tool to screw the thread repair insert into the newly threaded oversize hole. Then (depending on design) you may have to break off the "tang" which is part of the insert and is used to drive the insert into the hole. The resulting internal thread size matches the original thread if you chose the appropriate kit. Then you just use your original bolts.

There are all sorts of added tools used with helicoils, and the inserts also come in different depths (lengths) for various thread depth requirements. A "standard" kit should work on the caliper mount bracket, but unless I'm wrong, it's a fine thread, not a course thread which is the common kit usually available at autoparts stores.

Industrial supply houses will have a wider variety as Gary noted.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear caliper mounting plate

Quick Reply: Rear caliper mounting plate