C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early C3 Stereo Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 11:55 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Early C3 Stereo Install Questions

Now that I'm done collecting parts to put my interior back together, I'm stuck on where to start. I have the adaptor plate from American International so that I can put my DIN cd player in my '70.

First question: How did you attach the adaptor plate to the guage cluster? 2 part epoxy? That's the only thing I could think of.

Second question: How should I support the back of the stereo so that it doesn't move around?

Any help is appreciated. It's 62* outside right now and I have to get this done so I can bolt my rear suspension back in and get out there on the road!!

Thanks.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:17 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Early C3 Stereo Install Questions (Scooter70)

i have the same adapter plate for mine what it looks like is install the din style stereo on the plate and put it through the dash then on the back of the stereo attach a plate to secure it,the adapter just covers the hole to look clean.if i can ill take a picture or 2 this week of it.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:51 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Early C3 Stereo Install Questions (patsnitrovette)

Thanks Pat- I'd appreciate any pics or help you can give.
:cheers:
Old 03-17-2003, 01:05 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just finished doing mine too. :)

I'll post some pics when I get home tonight.

I used the putty epoxy and smoothed it out into all of the edges. There are no seams visible. Then prime it and paint. It's not perfect, but it doesn't move and doesn't look like a plastic cover anymore... I hope. :D:D
Old 03-18-2003, 08:11 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Early C3 Stereo Install Questions (phoenix)

I'd love to see the pics....
Old 03-18-2003, 11:50 PM
Jon69L46
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered that as well. I didn't figure any type of glue. It just spans all the voids and gives a flatter mounting surface. The head units mounting bezel would sandwich the American plate and secure it.
I was going to build a little bracket that would use the original mounting bracket that sticks up on the tunnel for the rear.

I'm still not sure I'm going to cut the Bezel, just picked up the american plate so I have the option.

Jon
Old 03-19-2003, 12:07 AM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Early C3 Stereo Install Questions (Jon69L46)

I just took a couple of pics of my work in progress.

You can see how the putty epoxy fills in the large gaps in the edges. The flash really picks up the areas that were smoothed out. You can't see or feel them in normal light.

I just realized that my fuel gauge is slightly off angle too... I'll have to fix that. :)

I did the same thing back with my 76. Here is a pic of that... not as close up though. I didn't use the face plate for the 76, the whole thing was putty epoxy. It's easy to mold, hardens quickly, sandable and paintable to match. The faceplate does save a lot of time and effort building it up though. :)

Old 03-19-2003, 12:34 AM
Jon69L46
Racer

I see what your doing. Looks good, The head unit will stick out further than I thought, but not beyond the gauge bezel.
Thanks
Jon
Old 03-19-2003, 09:25 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Phoenix- Thanks. That looks really good. Do you have a shot of the back side? Are you just bending up the tabs on the stereo sleeve to fix it to the gauge cluster?
:cheers:
Matt
Old 03-19-2003, 10:32 AM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I'll take a photo for you of the back tonight.

I did just bend all of the tabs back, but after my experiene with the 76, it really needs a brace on the back or at least a cushion on the bottom where it will rest or be close to the tranny tunnel. The angle that you mount the head unit is important for two reasons. First it is a royal pain to see in the drivers seat if you mount it level. Second it will likely bounce a little as you drive so you either need to secure it with a brace in back to the firewall or dashpad or put something on the tranny tunnel to keep it from moving.

I'm not sure which way I am going, but I'll take photos.
:)
Old 03-19-2003, 11:57 AM
midwest-vette
Instructor

could someone provide the American internation website address and part number? Those face plate adapters look really nice.

do you just cut a square hole in the dash cluster that is large enough to fit the head unit or cut the entire bottom off of the cluster?

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:09 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Early C3 Stereo Install Questions (midwest-vette)

Their phone number is 1-800-323-4329 and the part number for the early C3 is FP-306. The thing is that they are not a distributor, they're the manufacturer/wholesaler. I called them and they found a distributor that was in western Michigan who sent it to me. The cost was around $20. I'm sure they will do the same for you.
As for your second question... you just cut a hole big enough to fit the stereo through and the plate covers it up and gives you a flat surface to mount to.

HTH,
Matt

[Modified by Scooter70, 12:11 PM 3/19/2003]
Old 03-19-2003, 05:29 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Another option is the adapter plate from Vette Specialties. It has two locating lugs on the back with you can actually bolt on to the bezel. It is metal and has the wrinkle finish like the rest of the bezel. Kinda spendy, but it looks nice.

Their website is http://www.vettespecialties.com/

AC

Get notified of new replies

To Early C3 Stereo Install Questions

Quick Reply: Early C3 Stereo Install Questions