C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crooked Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 11:15 AM
biggjimm
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crooked Engine?

I noticed when I put my engine in that it sets about two inches off center towards the passenger side of the car. Why is this? :confused: Is it to balance out the weight of the driver? :confused: If so I might should move it over some more for my big a** :D Thanks, Biggjimm
Old 03-17-2003, 11:24 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Crooked Engine? (biggjimm)

almost every vette ive worked on or owned has been like that . :yesnod:
Old 03-17-2003, 11:58 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

mine's like that too. i think your on the right track with your logic but it makes me wonder why they put the damn battery on the wrong side :cuss :mad
Old 03-17-2003, 11:58 AM
biggjimm
Advanced

Default Re: Crooked Engine? (patsnitrovette)

I love that picture of your vette in the bleach box, it is great. I've got a T.P.I. off of a 88 vette that I was going to put on my 73 project "Stolen Vette" but when I asked around everyone said that it would require two many extra mods to deliver enough fuel. High velocity pump. injectors. Different sensors and computer. So I picked up a Holley Pro-jection T.B.I. unit instead. How does your T.P.I. work out? How much "motor" do you have? Thanks, biggjimm
Old 03-17-2003, 12:00 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I really noticed it when I cut the hole in the hood for the blower. If you tried to move the engine over you would run into problems with the steering box. My headers make a tight turn and still just kiss the steering box. Move the engine over 1/2 inch and the headers would no longer fit.
Also the rear end is offset to the right. The pinion does not come off in the center of the housing but off towards the passengers side. If the motor was aligned with the center line of the car the driveshaft would be on a bad angle.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:10 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Crooked Engine? (norvalwilhelm)

So far im still working a few problems out with it but it really has a ton of low end torque,the motor is in my signature,350 60 over 487 510 roller.The swap isnt really too bad to do once you have everything,i first had an intank pump in the original tank but this week i installed an line pump and it works fine.
I also noticed the offsetin my 76 when i cut the hood for the motor to stick through and it was offst about 1 1/2 -2 inchs.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:21 PM
biggjimm
Advanced

Default Re: Crooked Engine? (norvalwilhelm)

Hey Norval, whats up? I was just kidding about moving it over, But I was meaning move it on over farther to the right to offset my 285lb a** haha

Get notified of new replies

To Crooked Engine?

Quick Reply: Crooked Engine?