C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retro hyroller cams?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 10:35 AM
J75
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retro hyroller cams?

I've been thinking about going to a roller cam set up in the 383.Besides cam,lifters and springs what needs to be changed?What about lift #s for the street?Seems like most are in the .500 range and just wondering how hard on parts this would be.I have TF heads and full roller rockers.Anyone running a roller what do you think of your setup?You know the deal,enough is never enough!Thanks.
Joe
Old 03-17-2003, 10:49 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Retro hyroller cams? (J75)

I wuld not use anything but factory style, read double D shaped, roller rockers...those aftermarket things with the toggle arrangments can break and so not suited for a street machine.....
using factory roller lifters, means re machineing the block and arrangement for holding the factory 'spyder' in place with the 3 bolts into the cam webbing....block would have to be altered/machined....
I would not bother at this point....
posts have been allready about those toggle lifters breaking and turning sideways, and wiping out tons of crap.....not worth the bother...fine for a race engine that's torn down every weekend...but no good on the street....

GENE
Old 03-17-2003, 11:27 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Retro hyroller cams? (mrvette)

im using a zz4 roller cam with comp cams retro roller lifters in my 73 block,youll need different length pushrods also,im using comp cams 7.4 length,also youll need a cam button to keep the cam from walking forward,im using cranes needle bearing one.

[Modified by patsnitrovette, 11:30 AM 3/17/2003]
Old 03-17-2003, 01:39 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Retro hyroller cams? (patsnitrovette)

I too have read the horror stories about the retro-fits, if they don't fail they have to be reconditoned at 10 -20 thousand miles. I will stick with the solid flat tappet
Old 03-17-2003, 02:59 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Retro hyroller cams? (MotorHead)

if i actually had a motor that i kept in the car for that kind of mileage it would be a miracle,i get bored with them and build something else. :D
Old 03-17-2003, 04:26 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Retro hyroller cams? (MotorHead)

The problem with having to recondition every 10-15k miles is only for solid rollers. Hydraulic rollers last pretty much forever. Seems comp cams had issues with some of their link bars coming off. I've had comp cams retro rollers for about 3 years now and have not had that problem. Personally I highly recommend retro hyd rollers. I'm very happy with mine and feel it gives me the best power and torque curve possible while maintaining good street manners.

In addition to the cam/lifters you will need shorter pushrods and a cam button. Be sure to get a "street friendly" cam that uses a cast iron distributor gear.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:10 PM
Todbo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Retro hyroller cams? (zwede)

you tell em , Markus :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Retro hyroller cams?

Quick Reply: Retro hyroller cams?