C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine is in - pwr streering went into meltdown

Old 03-17-2003, 09:09 AM
jetech
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine is in - pwr streering went into meltdown

I got the engine all hooked up and did the cam break in run. Just before shutting the engine down smoke poured out from the engine bay. :mad After shutting down I found the pwr steering pump smoking and very hot, fluid was all over the bay. When the smoke cleared I could hear the remaining fluid boiling inside the reservoir. :mad :mad :mad When I pulled the engine I didn't remove the pump or lines and I don't remember any fluid leaking out so I am not sure what caused this but it had to be low fluid. Anyway, the engine ran great :D no leaks or problems. Now I need to change the pump. Is there anything special about changing this pump? Can the crimped hose clamp be replaced with a standard clamp? Thanks for any help.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:00 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Engine is in - pwr streering went into meltdown (jetech)

The return line is low pressure so an ordinary gear clamp works fine. The high pressure line screws into the back of the pump. The hardest part with changing a pump is they don't come with pulleys and you have to remove and install the original one. It can be hard removing the old pulley. You can not press it off you need a special puller and even then it can be hard. Installation is easy.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:58 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Engine is in - pwr streering went into meltdown (norvalwilhelm)

The hardest part with changing a pump is they don't come with pulleys and you have to remove and install the original one. It can be hard removing the old pulley. You can not press it off you need a special puller and even then it can be hard. Installation is easy.
Norval is right...do yourself a favor and either buy or rent the special pully puller. I rented one from Autozone and it works great. Took me 15 minutes to change the pully with the pump off the car. :cheers:
Eddie

Get notified of new replies

To Engine is in - pwr streering went into meltdown

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine is in - pwr streering went into meltdown