C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sidepipes With '69 Fiberglass Cover Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 09:04 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Sidepipes With '69 Fiberglass Cover Questions?

The sidepipes for the '80 are in the parts gathering stage and while I was in the shop I came across a new H-Pipe Kit from Summitt I had purchased sometime ago.

The '80 has the ZZ5 with Fastburn Angle Plug heads, a set of Sanderson shorty headers that will lead to a set of JCL Spiral Baffles covered by'69 style side exhaust with aftermarket fiberglass covers.

The shorty's have are blockhugger style and are turned toward the oil pan on both sides. It will be really easy to put an H under the oil pan in between the two sides. I know that the H should work the same as with the regular underchassis system. I just wondered if anyone else had ever dreamed this up and any opinions on how it will do? I hope it will quiten the sound somewhat.

The other question, A friend of mine had several parts of his Cobra Kit Car Jet-Hot coated. He had the side-pipes and roll bar coated and they looked extremely good. Is there any type of coating that will give a metal look available for the Fiberglass Covers? Thanks Jim
Old 03-16-2003, 09:07 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: Sidepipes With '69 Fiberglass Cover Questions? (PROSOUTH)

Most just go to WalMart and get the spray paint can of chrome paint. It comes in silver and gold and it really does hold up well.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:22 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Sidepipes With '69 Fiberglass Cover Questions? (Ed T)

Thanks Ed but that's a little more than I can afford. I was more in the meaning of the Jet-Coat type coating but was wondering if the coating had to be heated up to much to use on the fiberglass.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:50 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Sidepipes With '69 Fiberglass Cover Questions? (Ed T)

Even if I could afford it I would have second thoughts about how good ti would appear on the rough fiberglass.

I really think the jetcoat would look nice and give them a metal look.

If you get yours done either post us a picture or e-mail me one. I want something that looks nice on the '80.

I had hoped to have a response to the H-Pipe part of this post also, I really wonder if this might have real good results. Thanks Jim
Old 03-16-2003, 10:02 PM
65LS6C4
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Sidepipes With '69 Fiberglass Cover Questions? (PROSOUTH)

The JetHot Coating is applied at 650 Degrees
Old 03-16-2003, 10:22 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Sidepipes With '69 Fiberglass Cover Questions? (65LS6C4)

Sounds a little to hot for fiberglass then doesn't it? I think I will check out Eastwood or POR-15 and see what they have available. Thanks for your input on the coatings.

Any comments on the H for the sidepipes? Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Sidepipes With '69 Fiberglass Cover Questions?

Quick Reply: Sidepipes With '69 Fiberglass Cover Questions?