C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drop spindals

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 08:50 PM
vssii58
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drop spindals

Does anyone know if they make drop spindals for a vette. I'd like to lower the front a little and I don't what to cut the springs
Old 03-16-2003, 08:57 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: drop spindals (vssii58)

Ive never seen em so far. Cutting the spring would be cheaper and easier really. Wouldnt cost a dime if you did it yourself. It would increase the spring rate too for less body roll in cornering. Vettes are pretty low to begin with. Cut off one coil wrap and yur down there. How come you dont wanna cut the coils?
Old 03-16-2003, 09:30 PM
vssii58
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: drop spindals (Jvette73)

Cutting the coils changes the geomeitry. There no way to make sure you end up with the same tension on each springs. I tried it on a s10 blazer I built for my son and ended up buy 2" dropped spindals and springs.It made a huge difference in the handling of the s10. I'm building mine to drag race and I like the look of the lower stance.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:39 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: drop spindals (vssii58)

You can also buy ajustable lower ball joints that allows the joint itself to be lower up to 1 inch. Cutting coils is not the way to go. Sure stiff springs prevent body roll in corners but proper front end geometry also prevents roll. Stiff springs just pound the front end over every little pump. Raise the roll center with proper geometry and your car will act like it has stiffer springs going around a corner and yet on the straight it will act soft.
I was going to change my soft front springs to #460 pound springs not wanting to go to the 550s but was talking into learning about roll centers and how raising them makes the front end think it has stiff springs only while going around corners,
Anyway back to the original question. Coleman make adjustable lower ball joints that can be used to lower the car about 1 inch and still keep the same longer springs.

Get notified of new replies

To drop spindals

Quick Reply: drop spindals