C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've Been Hard At Work....

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 07:03 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default I've Been Hard At Work....

...readying my car for the upcoming drag racing season! Here are a few pictures I snapped:

I took my ET Streets to my buddy and had him mount them and spin balance them for me...costed me $5 :). They are 28x11.5x15 Mickey Thompson ET Streets. I painted the M/T white. They would not fit without removing the e-brake bracket so as of now I don't have an emergency brake (didn't work anyway).

I also added the tach and shift light. I spliced the shift light line to mount it up in the cowl part of my hood. The carburetor is running nice and lean and is so much more snappy and feels so much more powerful. I also installed a new set of R45 plugs. I changed my transimission fluid and adjusted my valves today. Today I also installed my AC Delco mini high torque starter (not pictured)! My stock starter weighed in at 23lbs! My mini starter weighs in at a very light 8lbs. So I effectively shaved 15lbs off of the front of of my car. The wind of the high torque starter is awesome and takes very little effort to start my motor now. I also re-curved my distributor and installed the lighest springs. My old weights and springs were all rusty. It definitely pulls harder earlier on in the RPM band now.

I still have a few more things to do. I need to pull my driveshaft and halfshafts and take them up to my grandfather's where I can use his press to press them out and press in the new solid Spicer's. I also need to install my halfshaft and driveshaft loops. I'm currently purchasing BSeery's dual flex-a-lite fans and getting rid of my clutch fan.

These things were done in 2 days while my girlfriend was visiting her family in West Virginia. I couldn't be with her so I decided to get off my lazy butt and do some work on the car.

All comments are welcome. Just thought I'd share. :cheers:
Old 03-16-2003, 07:12 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: I've Been Hard At Work.... (bence13_33)

Sweet - lookin good. I love it when the wife and kids go away for a day or two.
I get to stay up all night working on the vette.

:cheers: :cheers:
Old 03-16-2003, 07:28 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: I've Been Hard At Work.... (NHvette)

Looking good as always,i might have to mount my shift light where you have yours,i like that.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:34 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: I've Been Hard At Work.... (patsnitrovette)

Looks awesome Shane. I'm looking forward to seeing the improved times.

:cheers:
Old 03-16-2003, 07:39 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

There's some great shots Shane. :yesnod: Looks nasty. :thumbs:
You better talk your Dad into handing over the camera permenately. :D

You're giving me way too many ideas for mine. :crazy: I noticed the valve covers too. Is that carb a Holley 830DP?? Looks like you chopped off the choke tower? Is there a special model # for the mini starter? I'm gonna need one too!

Hard work pays off.

[Modified by 1970 Stingray, 7:46 PM 3/16/2003]
Old 03-16-2003, 07:48 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: I've Been Hard At Work.... (1970 Stingray)

Looking good. Can't wait to hear some times
Old 03-16-2003, 07:52 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

hmmmm.... with more power and better traction looks like you will be a lot faster at the track. What do you think? under 11.5? :) MJ
Old 03-16-2003, 07:53 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Default Re: I've Been Hard At Work.... (patsnitrovette)

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Pat:
I like the shift light up in the cowl. It's nice because I can watch the road and the light clearly tells me that "it's time to shift."

Corey:
I'm hoping the times improve but I won't know for sure until Keystone opens up in about 20 days or so. I haven't really tried launching or getting into the throttle at all with the new slicks. My buddy (the one who mounted my tires) has a pretty rowdy '80 Camaro with a 454. He runs ET Streets. He told me that for around town you don't even have to do a burnout, he said all you have to do is get some road heat in them and they stick quite nicely. I guess we'll see. I don't want to get too wild until I get the new u-joints and loops installed.

Len:
Yeah I made quite a few changes to the motor versus the original picture in my signature. The carburetor is a Holleyy 850cfm DP. I had to chop the choke tower off. With my drop base air cleaner and a choke tower my car ran WAY too rich at idle because it wasn't getting enough air. Chopping the choke tower off lets it get more air. I purchased the starter brand new off of eBay for $90.00 + shipping. I'll have to see if I can back track and find some numbers for you. You could probably research my past completed auctions on eBay and find the starter that I'm talking about. My user name is bence33.

By the way, you didn't comment on my intake :) . It's a little more different than my original Torker II I'd say ;) . With the drop base air cleaner and Strip Dominator intake I don't have enough room to fit an air cleaner stud and wingnut....the pressure of the hood on top of the air cleaner lid holds my air cleaner assembly down :) .

MJ:
My buddy told me that 11.50s aren't out of the question. My motor is very similar to what he ran in his Camaro with the exception that I stepped the cam up a notch. He ran 11.66 with his Camaro. Right now my goal is just to break into the 11s.

[Modified by bence13_33, 6:59 PM 3/16/2003]
Old 03-16-2003, 08:20 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

:cool: :thumbs:
Old 03-16-2003, 08:46 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bence,

That shift light is a great idea. Until I got the Z I had no idea how much of a lag there can be with a tack in the 1st 2 gears. 800rpm in first, about 400rpm in 2nd. I think I might also mount one in the rear facing cowl intake area. Concealed, but visible when shift point is reached.

All in all, it looks like your hard work is going to humble a lot of guys on the track this year! You will set a new bence mark of performance! :thumbs:

Chuck
Old 03-16-2003, 08:51 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice!!! them M/T's look like you mean business. :cheers:
Old 03-17-2003, 12:45 AM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good luck on breaking into the 11's
Old 03-17-2003, 01:00 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Looks great.... all the essentials right in front of you. I thought about putting an Autometer Monster Tach/Shiftlight on the vette I have, but decided to just try the Proform shiftlight first and not get too offbeat with the interior yet... I did say yet.

Old 03-17-2003, 01:05 AM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

:cool: :cheers:
Old 03-17-2003, 02:49 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: I've Been Hard At Work.... (Chuck Harmon)

You will set a new bence mark of performance! :thumbs:

Chuck
:iagree: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You have been busy....Looking good. Hope you hit the low 11's :cheers:
Old 03-17-2003, 05:20 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Bence,

The car looks killer! It just looks mean :reddevil

Who's the chick on your speedo? ;)
Old 03-17-2003, 08:07 AM
HcDave1
Racer

Default Re: I've Been Hard At Work.... (striker427)

nice car and i really like your dash a lot. very :cool:

Get notified of new replies

To I've Been Hard At Work....

Old 03-17-2003, 08:33 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Shane you will really like the bit of the ET streets but watch the sway. Passing gets a little hairy. Glad to see you leaned out the carb. If you need to try new plugs try Accel #276. I have had good luck over the years with them.
Do you have a rev limiter?
Also if you use a press to remove the flanges from the half shafts be very CAREFUL. The flanges do bend very easy. I have a special fixture that I bolt the flange to to prevent it from bending. The better way to remove universals is by cutting out the X with a torch then walking the cut cups out with a air chissel, polish the inside where the cups go with a slapper wheel, debur the cup, clean the goove then hold the half shaft in the vise and with a small brass hammer walk the cups in the shaft. Use lube as well.
I don't recommend pressing, using force since is distorts the yoke.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:08 AM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Default Re: I've Been Hard At Work.... (Chuck Harmon)

Chuck:
As of now I am unsure of what to set the shift light to...it's currently only set to 6000RPMs. The motor feels like it stops pulling around 6200-6400RPMs, I used to shift it at 6500RPMs.

I put the ET Streets on in case I run into some competion down at the track. It gets real tiresome hitting 2nd gear and having the tires spin like crazy. So I look at it this way "I'd rather lose a race from launching too hard and popping my halfshafts than lose a race because I couldn't get traction." I'm so excited for this drag racing season. Thanks for the kind words Chuck.

Jvette:
With a '02 Viper, '02 ZO6 and my buddies 604ci Mustang wanting to race me...the ET Streets seemed like a natural move.

69 Ratt:
I just want to break the 11.9X barrier, whatever comes after that is great.

Mystery Machine:
The "chick" on my speedometer is my girlfriend. It's always nice to be driving around or sitting at a stop light and to look at the speedometer and see her. I disconnected my speedometer gear after I switched to the 4.11 rear end and never got a replacement speedometer gear. I've got the tach, that's all I need.

Norval:
I also noticed the sway of the ET Streets while passing someone. Nope I don't have a rev limiter...that is my next purchase though. I was thinking about a Crane Hi-6 box that has two adjustable rev limiters. I would use one to limit the RPMs in the burnout box and the other while I'm running down the 1/4 mile. What box would you recommend?

About the halfshafts. I have already found out how easy it is to "spring the yoke" of the halfshaft while pressing out the u-joints. While pressing out the u-joints I don't use a lot of pressure and constantly tap the yoke with a mallet.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:28 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Shane I am old fashion and still use the MSD-6AL. That doesn't mean it is better then anything else I have just had mine forever. I continued buying add ons from MSD because that is what I started with. I now have 4 piggy backed onto the 6Al.
In the mustang I have the MSD 6AL along with a 2 step. As long as the line lock is on the first chip controls the rpm, release the line lock and the second ship kicks in.
I can pull to the line, floor it with the line lock on and the motor stutters around 3500, release the line lock and the motor jumps to 6500.

Quick Reply: I've Been Hard At Work....