C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any recommendations for removal of shroud and radiator form a 71?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 10:43 AM
nada
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any recommendations for removal of shroud and radiator form a 71?

I've done this job on a 76. It was NO FUN! Are there any recommendations or good tips on the removal of the shroud, radiator, and water pump on a 71 small block? The car has air-conditioning and I don't want to remove or mess with the condenser. The A/C works and I want it to stay that way! Thanks in advance,

Rick in Tennessee
Old 03-16-2003, 11:04 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Any recommendations for removal of shroud and radiator form a 71? (Rick Church)

They are a PIA for sure. Remove the hood (mandatory). Remove the fan. take all of the bolts out of the shroud. If you have a/c, look in the right front wheel well.. you will see a fiberglas cover in the upper side that covers the A/C lines. There is a bolt semi-covered with this cover. (remember this because this bolt has to come out). remove the bolts holding the drier to the chassis. Now remove the two top radiator support bolts (one is under the cover), the two middle support bolts. Loosen the two bottom bolts. Now you can tilt the radiator and support forward enought to get the radiator out. I doesn't need to move very far but enough to give you the clearance needed. Leave the shroud slid back. I know that's not what you wanted to hear but unless you want to cut the shroud it is you only option.

[Modified by silvervetteman, 11:05 AM 3/16/2003]
Old 03-16-2003, 12:38 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Default Re: Any recommendations for removal of shroud and radiator form a 71? (Rick Church)

RICK! i broke my shroud in half and riveted them back together :rofl:
i don't recommend that, but when your frustrated and PI$$ED...it worked out fine.
Old 03-16-2003, 12:58 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

You are probably not interested in mods. but now is the time to think about it. The addition of elec. fans on my car is the best thing I have done. After I pulled the shroud and rad., I swore there was no way I would put it back. I just did the power steering pump yesterday and could not even imagine doing it with that shroud in there. Since the elec. fans are not permanent, you can always go back and in that sense, it won't devalue the car. Just my .02. Good luck regardless! :cheers:
Old 03-16-2003, 02:26 PM
74BBcherryred
Instructor

Default Re: Any recommendations for removal of shroud and radiator form a 71? (R. Bruno)

Hi you may not want to do this but what i did was using a jig saw and cut the shroud in half at the very bottom. This allowed me to fold the sides in and get it by the A arms and when i was done i put a strap up the whole lenght of the cut i made and screwed it back together and it looks factory. Dave :hurray:

Get notified of new replies

To Any recommendations for removal of shroud and radiator form a 71?

Quick Reply: Any recommendations for removal of shroud and radiator form a 71?