C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump: Stock vs Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 02:15 AM
nitrocharger
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump: Stock vs Aftermarket?

As warm weather draws closer and I contemplate the idea of putting AC in my car, I think it would be a good idea to upgrade the cooling system. Right now I have a stock water pump in good working condition but is there any benefit to going to a high flow one? Is the difference in cooling worth the price? any help is appreciated
~Christian
Old 03-16-2003, 11:50 AM
no_radio
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Water pump: Stock vs Aftermarket? (nitrocharger)

I have a Stewart Stage II aluminum high flow water pump. You have to run a by-pass thermostat with the Stage II, which allows some coolant flow through the radiator at all times. This causes the car to warm up a little slower, but I have never had a high temperature, and this is in Houston Texas. I don't have AC (or PS or PB) so there's not as much load on the system as yours would have, but I think you'll be OK.
That being said, if your current cooling system is OK I'd recommend installing the AC before doing the water pump upgrade, you may not need it. Plenty of big blocks with AC have been built with stock water pumps.
good luck!
Jeff
Old 03-16-2003, 06:53 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Water pump: Stock vs Aftermarket? (no_radio)

No radio,
Where did you hear this about the bypass thermostat? I'm about to fire one up and haven't heard about anything other than a conventional t-stat.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:19 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Default Re: Water pump: Stock vs Aftermarket? (flynhi)

Check out the Stewart website. The bypass thermostate is a regular thermostat with holes drilled into to allow coolent to constantly flow. They are used with pumps that have no internal bypass like a Stewart stage 2 water pump. http://www.stewartcomponents.com/
Old 03-16-2003, 09:28 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Default Re: Water pump: Stock vs Aftermarket? (nitrocharger)

nitrocharger, if you do decide to put in ac, what type of compressor will you use? Radial type or long style A6? Reason im askin is I have a long style A6 with lines ill sell if your interested.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:11 PM
no_radio
Drifting

Default Re: Water pump: Stock vs Aftermarket? (Sigforty)

Check out the Stewart website. The bypass thermostate is a regular thermostat with holes drilled into to allow coolent to constantly flow. They are used with pumps that have no internal bypass like a Stewart stage 2 water pump. http://www.stewartcomponents.com/
:iagree:
got the info straight from Stewart before I purchased...Love my WP though...
Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To Water pump: Stock vs Aftermarket?

Quick Reply: Water pump: Stock vs Aftermarket?