C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem solved....I will build a new engine block my darn self!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 08:02 PM
sharkthehunter77
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem solved....I will build a new engine block my darn self!!!!

Here on the island there is a machine/motor shop specializing in the venerable 350. The place come highly recommnded by the various corvette people here on base and indeed has built or rebuilt many of the custom engines on the island for enlisted military corvette people. Two of the three guys i know with 383's either had their engine built there or got their parts from those guys. Well, i will be adding myself to that distinguished list. I will buy everything i need fom them to build my own block, take all that stuff to the auto hobby shop and have at it. Remember back when all i wanted to do was change the camshaft, well "while I was at it". Anyway, this list of material is all inclusive for my new engine yet will cost me less then $2000 because i can eliminate cylinder heads, camshaft and lifters( still using the edelbrock) timing set, oil pan and gasket, intake manifold, ( still using the performer). So wish me luck!!!

[Modified by sharkthehunter77, 1:16 AM 3/16/2003]
Old 03-15-2003, 09:29 PM
standup
Drifting

Default Re: Problem solved....I will build a new engine block my darn self!!!! (sharkthehunter77)

You've got bigger kahunas (I think that's the Hawiian word for *****) than I do!!!

My first foray into Corvette resto is to replace my valve covers and PCV thingee, restore the centre console and vacuum system. Probably pretty easy for most, but for me....well...

My plans next year are for more serious engine mods, so I will be keenly interested in hearing about your progress. Is this your first engine build up???

Anyway, good on ya, mate!!!
Old 03-15-2003, 09:40 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: Problem solved....I will build a new engine block my darn self!!!! (standup)

:cheers: :thumbs:
Old 03-15-2003, 10:06 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Problem solved....I will build a new engine block my darn self!!!! (standup)

My first foray into Corvette resto is to replace my valve covers and PCV thingee, restore the centre console and vacuum system. Probably pretty easy for most, but for me....well...
standup...

That's the way I started. Bought this supposedly decent red vert and noticed right off that the valve covers were cracked(& welded)... the lights barely would come up(vacuum actuators)... & the console was cracked. I replaced those and have since fallen off the turnip wagon for alot more horsepower & lots of $$$. Let the vette owner beware!! You can blow lots of money on these things. Especially if you hang around this forum. :cheers:
Old 03-15-2003, 10:08 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Re: Problem solved....I will build a new engine block my darn self!!!! (sharkthehunter77)

Two good "how to" books that are must reading for sb chevy overhaul. Both by David Vizard and <$20 @ in paper back. How to Rebuild Your Small Block Chevy from HP Books covers every step of overhaul. Next my favorite and a fantastic reference:Max Performance Chevy Small Blocks on a Budget from SA Design Books. :thumbs:
Sharky I expect with your good core the rebuild will come in much less than $2K. :chevy
Old 03-17-2003, 03:16 AM
standup
Drifting

Default Re: Problem solved....I will build a new engine block my darn self!!!! (bgrice)

I knew before I bought my Vette that this would be a dollar draining hobby, and even though I get a lot of $$$ spending ideas from this forum, I reckon the great advice I get here will save me money in the long run.

BTW Nice Ride.... :cheers:
Old 03-17-2003, 05:12 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Sounds like a fun project, remember to keep your patience! :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Problem solved....I will build a new engine block my darn self!!!!

Quick Reply: Problem solved....I will build a new engine block my darn self!!!!