C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Carb Help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 11:48 AM
MaxCubes
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Carb Help.

I own a 74' Vette and I'm going to install an Edelbrock 600 Carb on it... I was wondering if there is anything important i should know before attempting this installation... and if anyone has any tips on tuning it to run right. Thanks Guys.
Old 03-15-2003, 03:14 PM
MaxCubes
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Need Carb Help. (MaxCubes)

Come on guys, i know there are some experts out there. :D
Old 03-15-2003, 07:53 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If your replacing a Quadrajet on a stock manifold you'll need a squarebore manifold also. I don't know for sure but I think the stock air cleaner assembly could have a problem clearing the wider body of the Edelbrock/AFB, especially if it has the electric choke. I haven't made this swap myself but I'm pretty sure that you'll need to reconfigure the fuel line to the carb. That shouldn't be a big deal as it's a common swap and the pieces needed to adapt the line should be readilly available. Lot's of guys here have done this swap and can give you much more info so stay tuned. If you are swapping manifolds, there are a bunch of "must do's" during and, especially, before you start. Let us know and we'll cover those also.
Old 03-15-2003, 09:01 PM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

Default Re: Need Carb Help. (Vetterodder)

I went with an EDL 800 on my BB. Its a very nice carb, easy to adjust, and was almost perfect right out of the box. I had to change to 'silver' springs from the factory ones, as im running low manifold vaccuum at idle (11.5 ") due to an agressive Hydr. Roller Cam . Other than that, works great. Responsive . Almost as responsive at the SpeedDemon 850 DP i had on it.

My SpeedDemon was a DP ,so, i had to do a bit of plumbing work but it was easy. Im using a 3" dropbase with the L88 hood and the dropbase just clears the carb linkage (but i got the manual choke EDL 800 carb , and in fact, took off the manual choke and linkage). Dont know if youll have problems with electric choke clearing or not on your setup. I like using Gasgacinch gasket sealer as it has always sealed very well. If you have the heighth room, consider going with a 1/2" or 1" wood carb spacer under the carb so the carb runs cooler - use a gasket on each side of the spacer too.

Good luck, Dave
Old 03-16-2003, 02:21 PM
MaxCubes
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Need Carb Help. (Rumpity Rump)

I've got an Edelbrock Performer Manifold and I'm putting an EDL Perf. Carb on it. Yeah, i'm switching from the quadra jet. I noticed that I do have to re-run the fuel line... any tips on that? I got the parts necessary to move the fuel line... I'm just not sure about the best way to do it. Thanks for the help so far guys. :D
Old 03-16-2003, 02:32 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I know how youre feeling. I too have an Edelbrock 600cfm carb, it sits atop a Performer manifold. I have been trying for eons to get some info about this carb as far as the fuel pump to carb line, the vacuum fitting that sits atop the manifold, and the fitting that goes to the back of the carb so you can connect a vacuum hose to the brake booster. these are 'hurdles' that Ive been dealing with for sometime. Responses to questions about this carburetor are very far and few between. Over the past six months I have asked various questions about this carb and all I have gotten is the 'frogs and crickets' teatment. I think it is because either few people use this carb (favor Holley, Demon, and others over it) or they just simply do not know. Lars is the carb guru but it appears he has dropped from sight for now. Like you I still await answers.
Old 03-16-2003, 02:54 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

I have installed several Edelbrocks on cars that I have had. I have always had excellent luck. I'll try to help with just my memory, because it has been a while. As far as the fuel line is concerned, I just cut the line from the fuel pump where it starts to bend around the area where the intake manifold mounts to the block and put a rubber hose to mount to the filter on the carb- pretty straight forward. There are a few vacuum ports on the carb. Figure out which ones you need and just cap off the others. You may have to go to Home Depot to find a brass plug for the port on the back. I have always used the carbs with electric chokes also and have sometimes had air cleaner clearance problems because I have not been able to find a drop base air cleaner that will clear the electric choke. I have Vortec heads on my Corvette and had to be creative figuring out how to hook up the throttle linkage. The do sell a linkage kit that you should be able to find at any auto parts store in the chrome dress up parts section. As was addressed earlier, the stock air cleaner will not fit. I did not have to do too much tuning to it. They are very user friendly. If you have any other questions, I can try to help. Otherwise, good luck. :conehead
Old 03-16-2003, 03:01 PM
MaxCubes
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Need Carb Help. (79VetteMike)

That sounds good for the fuel line. But the big problem i'm running into now is that my Dad doesn't want to ditch the factory air cleaner (who knows why). And where the fuel line connects to the carb the air cleaner hits it. So we might have to go with a different carb... although I just think we should get a different air cleaner.
Old 03-16-2003, 04:47 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

You might try taking off the fuel filter and put a banjo fitting there that will direct the fuel line nipple downwards. I don't think it will work, but I am not looking at it right now. If you are crafty, maybe you can cut the air cleaner and weld it back to fit?
Old 03-16-2003, 05:19 PM
MaxCubes
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Need Carb Help. (79VetteMike)

I tried directing the fuel line nipple down... but it still didn't work. We might go ahead and put a quadra-jet back on it... we aren't trying to get maximum horsepower out of it since it is going to be our bracket car. We just want it to run well.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Carb Help.

Quick Reply: Need Carb Help.