C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-Vette ?? But cool car though.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 10:55 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Non-Vette ?? But cool car though.

My cousin has a 1972 Malibu Convertible. His power top is slow going up and down. There looks to be air in the hydraulic lines but I think this is normal. Where is the fluid reservoir and how is it filled? I don't see a reservoir anywhere so I am assuming it’s on the pump itself. Anyone worked on or owned one of these classic :chevy that can help us fix it.
Thanks
John
Old 03-15-2003, 09:21 PM
78whtshark
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Non-Vette ?? But cool car though. (theandies)

Air in the hydualic line is not normal. The lines need to be bleed at the pump connections. The pump contains the fluid reservoir. Another cause for slow up and down beside air is a weak hydualic pump.

Been there and done that when I owned acool 1971 Pontiac Lemans Sport, Red and White. And when I had the pump rebuilt by a local convertible top shop, then old lines failed (25 yrs old).

If bleeding the lines does not help then have the pump rebuilt or replaced and replace the hydualic lines while you're at it.

Good luck.
Old 03-21-2003, 02:57 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: Non-Vette ?? But cool car though. (78whtshark)

TTT
My cousin is bringing his car over this weekend to do this(and other maintenance on his and mine). If anyone has any experience doing this please let us know. I went to a Chevelle discussion forum (Man we have a great thing going here, their forum is not nearly as good as this one) and I got some responses but not nearly enough info. The only bleeding info I got was from a Corvette Forum member 78whtshark :cheers: . The fluid looks to be purple in color...could this be DOT5 fluid? I use DOT5 for my Vette brakes and it does have a slight blue tint to it when it is in a clear glass. It may be automatic tranny fluid because the lines are not completely clear but the whitish type line. When we get the system opened up, hopefully we will be able to ID the fluid. 78whtshark said to crack the return line, bump the pump until fluid comes out a little, tighten the line while the pump is running, add fluid to the reservoir, repeat and rinse. Anyone have another technique (not that 78whtshark's technique sounds wrong). Sorry about the TTT but I am trying to gather as much information as possible before diving into this. I am SOOOOO glad my Corvette top is manual…..makes it easy.
John
P.S. I’ll take some pictures of both our cars and post them……It’ll be a regular Chevyfest :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 03-22-2003, 01:08 AM
litevette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Non-Vette ?? But cool car though. (theandies)

I don't know if it's the same, but I once had a 69 camaro and the pump was behind the back seat. Hope this helps!

Get notified of new replies

To Non-Vette ?? But cool car though.

Quick Reply: Non-Vette ?? But cool car though.