C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 10:44 AM
hauk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine replacement

Well I have decided to replace my ZZ3 with a ZZ4,I have only had the car about a month and I can't get a straight answer from the last owner about the history,I dont like the performance Tuned port and it looks like the rings have to be replaced,Of course if I do that I may as well rebuild the whole engine,I am going to sell the ZZ3 thats in it along with the Accel tuned port setup.Has any one dealt with or knows about a company Called enginefactory.com? they sell a ZZ4 complete ready to run,The only thing I see that it needs are the pulleys,belts and the starter,The price is $4875.00,What are your opinions? :crazy:
Old 03-15-2003, 11:04 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Engine replacement (hauk)

Check your local chevy dealer first.
Old 03-15-2003, 03:21 PM
mpro71vette
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Almost bought from them,ordered their video.Then Grandsport3 told me about A.R. Racing, they sell engines on ebay. Me, bgrice and I think TShort bought one. They have a great price! bgrice is getting ready to install his, mine is going in next week but won't be running for about a month and a half. Check them out on ebay.
Old 03-15-2003, 03:23 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Engine replacement (mpro72vette)

Almost bought from them,ordered their video.Then Grandsport3 told me about A.R. Racing, they sell engines on ebay. Me, bgrice and I think TShort bought one. They have a great price! bgrice is getting ready to install his, mine is going in next week but won't be running for about a month and a half. Check them out on ebay.
I'm getting my AR engine this fall, can't beat the price for the power you get :thumbs:
Old 03-15-2003, 07:26 PM
74Coupe
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ASK & ASK & ASK a lot of questions first, I'll bet the water pump is incorrect for your car and will need to be replaced, not sure if an Air Gap Intake will fit under the hood with out mods. I'd be willing to bet the term "turn key" will only mean you'll be unlocking the bank vault for a little more money.

Good Luck
Old 03-15-2003, 07:36 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's your money but, considering that the two engines are more alike than not, you could rebuild your ZZ3 to ZZ4 specs for way less than $4800. Add the "hot cam" kit and rockers, and it'll outperform the ZZ4. If you're switching intakes anyway, consider the fastburn (or other aftermarket) heads.
Old 03-15-2003, 07:46 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

I am going to sell the ZZ3 thats in it along with the Accel tuned port setup.
Let me know when you sell that TPI system. I know some one who may want that setup.

Has any one dealt with or knows about a company Called enginefactory.com? they sell a ZZ4 complete ready to run,The only thing I see that it needs are the pulleys,belts and the starter,The price is $4875.00,What are your opinions? :crazy:
That price is too high, that's my opinion.
First off, the water pump and flexplate will most likely be wrong for the C3.
See my notes on ZZ4 swap in a C3 at My ZZ4 swap project (click the link) .
Also, the engine already comes pretty complete. Just add carb, spark plug wires, and the oil filter mounting and your ready to go. For prices on ZZ4 check http://www.paceparts.com or Sallee Chevrolet (they have a web page). For $4800 you could get the RamJet 350 fuel injected motor. The ZZ4 goes for about $3600+ shipping. That's a lot of difference - $1200.

I looked at the motor at engine factory and I think it's a crappy deal. First off there is no mention of the 12,000 mile / 12 month warranty you would get with a real ZZ4.
Second, you are getting cast iron heads, not the aluminum heads.
800CFM Edelbrock may be good for the dyno, but I personally think it will be way too big for the street.

The only thing you're getting over the actual ZZ4 is the carb, fuel pump, plumbing and spark plug wires. That air cleaner may be worth $10 bucks too.

Get yourself a ZZ4 with the warranty from GM, buy some spark plug wires, a Demon carburetor that is tuned for the ZZ4 and ready to go in the box, use your existing starter and save yourself the extra $800.

[Modified by BSeery, 5:47 PM 3/15/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Engine replacement

Quick Reply: Engine replacement