C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window adjustments???????

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 09:56 AM
77BlueL82
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Window adjustments???????

:mad :confused: Trying to adjust my door windows yesterday and I found out that you need the the patience of Job. I thought I had it adjusted. Closed the door with the window up, looked good. Then reality set in. Put the window down with the door closed and it would not go up all the way, about quarter to a half inch short. With the door open it went up. :confused: :confused: Question is, I'm afraid to change the the way it's aligned now because when I close the door the window sits right for the first time in two years. HELP :banghead:
Old 03-15-2003, 10:28 AM
goinbroke
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Window adjustments??????? (77BlueL82)

Yep, I agree, window alignment is one of the more frustrating jobs. I'm guessing that your regulator may have some play in it. With the door open and the window down about 1 inch from the full up position, grab the glass at each corner, then try to rock the glass up and down at the corners. If you have very much movement then it's probably time for a regulator rebuild. I happen to have that on my "to do" list also.

[Modified by goinbroke, 9:31 AM 3/15/2003]
Old 03-15-2003, 10:34 AM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Been there, done that.... Took darn near forever! :lol:

The trick is to follow the factory procedure. Each adjustment affects each different setting. So you will only just go around in circles if you don't adjust them in the right sequence. And even in the right sequence you got in maybe 2 or 3 circles, not 100. :crazy: I don't recall the exact procedure. If the archives (deep archives from 2+ years ago) are still around I detailed a lot of this process on my '70. The other thing is that the current weatherstripping isn't exactly the same as the original stuff - the original stuff is physically larger (at least on '70 convertibles it was that way). So you may NEVER get the perfect fit without shimming the weatherstripping. And on convertibles you also have the fit of the convertible top to tweak. For any vert owners reading this, I've read that the best thing to do is get the windows set to a hardtop and then adjust the ragtop to the window. (Of course, not having a hard top I did it the loooong way....) Hope this helps. ~Juliet

[Modified by Juliet, 10:37 AM 3/15/2003]
Old 03-15-2003, 11:07 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trying to adjust my door windows yesterday

Yea - what a pain in the ****!

I put new weatherstripping in the DOORS only to now be getting WINDOW noise because the windows are not tight now, against the back strip.

Drives me nuts! :banghead:
Old 03-15-2003, 12:02 PM
goinbroke
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Window adjustments??????? (SanDiegoPaul)

You also might try putting some silicone lube on the weatherstrips where the window runs onto them. I've heard that GM puts out a weatherstrip lube and protecter. I got some stuff from Napa called sil-glyde that helped quite a bit.

Get notified of new replies

To Window adjustments???????

Quick Reply: Window adjustments???????