C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lessons learned on installing new emergency/parking brake console!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 09:06 PM
nada
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lessons learned on installing new emergency/parking brake console!!

Total time on this job, about two hours, degree of difficluty, 2 out of 10, not to bad.

1. You have to remove the rear compartment doors frame and center compartment box or be more flexible than I am to get to the rear retaining bolt.
2. Have a new Emer/parking brake handle slider handy for replacemnent.
3. Before you install the slider bracket and torque the bolts, make sure you trim the excess fiberglass from the underside of the console. I torqued down the brackets bolts and cracked my new console. I stopped tightening the bolts when I heard the snap of cracking fiberglass. The problem was a ridge of excess glass that the bracket was rubbing on and when the bolts got tight, the pressure cracked the console, a little but not much. I got out the Dremel and trimmed the excess glass away.
4. Make sure the "J-bolts" are centered before putting the console in place. Use an awl to line up the holes before putting the screws in.
5. Take your time and be methodical, have a good flashlight handy too.
6. Take the opportunity to clean out the battery and jack areas while the doors are not installed.
7. Have some matching paint available to touch up the scratches or Dremel contact points or damage (abrasions).

I hope this may save someone some work and heartache. :cheers:

Quick Reply: Lessons learned on installing new emergency/parking brake console!!