C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling fan not coming on...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 09:01 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling fan not coming on...

This is concerning my 1992 Camaro, but it's the same concept. The cooling fan will only come on when the A/C is on. I pulled the plug off of the relay that is in the intake manifold. When I did this, the fan came on immediately and the A/C was not on and the engine was cool. Well, I put a jumper wire in it and it came on again-after it had cooled off. In other words, the fan comes on whether I have a the jumper on or not. Again, when the connector is on the switch, the fan only comes on with the A/C, and then again when it is unplugged-with a jumper or not. The car has not been "Bubba'ed" at all. It's in great shape and I always just ride with the A/C on, but this is not a good fix. Any suggestions?
Old 03-14-2003, 10:12 PM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Cooling fan not coming on... (79VetteMike)

It may Not be broken, I also have a camaro and the fan is made to come on at about 220* or more. To hot for me, I put a switch in the dash, I just watch the temp gauge. Once it hits 200*, I hit the switch.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:52 PM
biggjimm
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cooling fan not coming on... (79VetteMike)

Most GM electric fans dont come on until the temp reaches 226. That is how they pass emissions, a hotter running engine runs cleaner. It sounds like to me it may be the temp sender in the engine. If it is bad the and the rest of the system is good then it would still run with the A/C on or jumping the relay. If you have to replace the sender switch you can get aftermarket ones that bring the fan on at around 180. Would be good idea to put a 180 thermostat in it to. You will be suprised how much better it runs when it is running cooler.

Get notified of new replies

To Cooling fan not coming on...

Quick Reply: Cooling fan not coming on...