C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 06:52 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default What would you do ???

So, the big cruise to Gila Bend is on 3/15, and you have been looking forward to cruising out to DesertDawg's place with your friends for weeks.

Meanwhile, your transmission is having problems. The torque converter keeps going in and out of lockup.

So, you order the parts and pay extra for the express shipping from USPS so you will have the parts by 3/14.

You get the car waaay up in the air (1 1/2 feet) and pull the transmission pan down. After the bath in red fluid is over you are all ready to install the new parts to fix the problem. Just got to wait until tomorrow when they get here.

Tomorrow comes, today to be exact. ---- No parts ---
USPS Express means that is "could" get there over night, but depending on the area, it could take up to 3 days. For me, the parts will be here on 3/15. They should show up at the same time I was hoping to be eating something off the grill after a nice long cruise.

So, do you put the pan back on, fill it up with new fluid, drive out to Gila Bend with a cranky transmission and then on Sunday, drop the pan, take another red shower and then install the parts??

Or --

Do you leave the Vette in the air, all ready for the install of the parts and take the other car?

If you have ever dropped the pan on a transmission and done that mess or you have not, let me know in your post. I think that those who have gone through this may have a different opinion than those that haven't.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:54 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What would you do ??? (BSeery)

If a crazy auto trans is anything like a cranky wife on a long drive - talk the other car. :D
Old 03-14-2003, 07:11 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Default Re: What would you do ??? (Robert N)

take the other car :thumbs:
Old 03-14-2003, 07:27 PM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What would you do ??? (Robert N)

If a crazy auto trans is anything like a cranky wife on a long drive - talk the other car. :D
Crazy trans leads to extra-cranky wife. Take the other car.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:31 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Take the other car. Plus.... with all the picking YOU did in that *50% thread* I wouldn't put it past Dawg to put some dead squid under your seat. That stuff can really reek up an interior in the heat. Better yet... renting might be best just to not take any chances!

Not giving Dawg any hints or anything... :D
Old 03-14-2003, 07:39 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the other car. Shipping details should have been explained to you in advance. The shipper should know the rules. Most often Express Mail is gauranteed overnight. If it doesnt come, you could inquire about a refund for the shipping charge. Check the postmark to see exaxtly when it was sent too. Its possible the shipper didnt send it out immeadiatly. I see that all the time. Not to point fingers at other than the USPS, and I know it doesnt solve your direct problem, just stating what I know from expierence.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:00 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: What would you do ??? (Jvette73)

Jvette73...

I'm finding all the stuff I order taking longer in this present economy. Maybe the shippers like UPS & Fedex are willing to take the complaints to consolidate shipments and fill up trucks/planes and make things late a day or two with the high fuel costs. I am also noticing cute little things like surcharges at the places I buy from to actually get it shipped the same day even though you order it early in the morning. Maybe they have laid off too many people too.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:01 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ

Take the other car. Shipping details should have been explained to you in advance. The shipper should know the rules. Most often Express Mail is gauranteed overnight. If it doesnt come, you could inquire about a refund for the shipping charge. Check the postmark to see exaxtly when it was sent too. Its possible the shipper didnt send it out immeadiatly. I see that all the time. Not to point fingers at other than the USPS, and I know it doesnt solve your direct problem, just stating what I know from expierence.
they did ship yesterday, as the tracking information shows. It just won't be here today. The guy on the USPS 1800 line said it's only overnight to areas near the shipper. I should have paid the extra extra money and had them ship FedEx or UPS.

I am still thinking about taking the Vette. Damn if I won't hear the end of it if I show up in my wifes "ricer" toyota.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:14 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Thats strange. I work as a mailman and have seen overnight express on time from coast to coast. It is true that there are some areas that arent garanteed. You out in the sticks somewhere??
:jester

[Modified by Jvette73, 7:14 PM 3/14/2003]

[Modified by Jvette73, 7:14 PM 3/14/2003]
Old 03-14-2003, 11:10 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

i don't understand :confused: just put it in forth gear :p:
Old 03-14-2003, 11:13 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ

Thats strange. I work as a mailman and have seen overnight express on time from coast to coast. It is true that there are some areas that arent garanteed. You out in the sticks somewhere??
:jester
Chandler Arizona - in Phoenix - about 2 million people near here say we are not in the sticks.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:14 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ

Default Re: What would you do ??? (clutchdust)

i don't understand :confused: just put it in forth gear :p:
ha ha ha -- your hilarious.

It's my "extra" gear that the problem -- the torque converter keeps cycling in and out of lock (bad pressure switch or solenoid).
Old 03-14-2003, 11:20 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

i dont care which, just get pics of his daughters :conehead :hat
Old 03-14-2003, 11:33 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

A few months back, my torque converter began working intermittantly. I was CERTAIN that it was an internal problem and or electrical. I even removed the pan while trying to find the answer.
As it turns out, my vacuum source was too weak to actuate the vacuum switch consistantly. I selected a new vacuum source and all is well.

I hope you find a simple, inexpensive solution!
Good luck.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:52 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would take the other vehicle. Once my vert broke down on the highway (threw rod), and I was on my way to work in Wash, DC (active duty Army)
and I had to call my wife to bring the suv to me while she sat with the vert for 2 hours(GEICO's roadside asst sucks) The wrecker arrived, the vert was loaded onto the flatbed and the wrecker wouldn't start!! :eek: The driver called for another wrecker and it arrived another hour later. Boy was my wife pissed :mad :mad. While we were dating I had a rental car and it stopped on us. I was pretty upset and while we waited for the wrecker, my then girlfriend smothered me with kisses and laughter :confused: now figure that one out. To make a long story short if she was your girlfriend, maybe I would drive the vert.....but she's your wife :reddevil watch out!!!! :lol: :lol:
Old 03-15-2003, 12:20 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: What would you do ??? (Oldguard 7)

I not only refuse to vote in this thread, I don't have the time to even do a decent reply. I am too busy planning to assault any dang ricer that shows up for a CORVETTE gathering....
Old 03-15-2003, 01:01 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ

Default Re: What would you do ??? (MIKER)

A few months back, my torque converter began working intermittently. I was CERTAIN that it was an internal problem and or electrical. I even removed the pan while trying to find the answer.
As it turns out, my vacuum source was too weak to actuate the vacuum switch consistently. I selected a new vacuum source and all is well.

I hope you find a simple, inexpensive solution!
Good luck.
At first I did have a messed up vacuum switch -- thought that was my problem. Replaced it -- still didn't work.
So, my wiring was crappy -- replaced that ($30 wire harness) and still didn't work.
Opened the pan and I think the solenoid is shot. I "hot" wired it from the vacuum switch, pumped up vacuum and it gets volts at about 5psi vacuum. But then some fuses blew and I think the solenoid is shorting out.
The parts I am waiting for from BowTie is the internal wiring, a new pressure switch and a new solenoid.

I hope this fixes it.

Get notified of new replies

To What would you do ???

Old 03-15-2003, 02:20 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Just so everyone knows, Bryan and me discussed this, and he will be driving the ricer,

and we won't be picking on him (MUCH) ! :D
Old 03-15-2003, 07:51 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ

Default Re: What would you do ??? (Desertdawg)

So -- I take the 'ricer' to the picnic -- I lead the way out there as well. A Toyota in front of about 10 Corvettes going through the back-roads of the desert.
Anyway while we were nibbling on Dwayne's fantastic cooking, the USPS (U Should be Pissed Soon ) showed up at our house in Chandler.
Even though I left a note saying to leave the parts in the back yard, they left a note saying we will try to deliver on the next day -- Monday.
:mad :mad :mad :mad So much for me working on it on Sunday.

Oh, and Monday I will be out of town and my wife won't be able to pick it up on the way home, since they won't get the "hold at the post office" note until they get here on Monday.
Now I won't get the damn parts until TUESDAY !!! IF I AM LUCKY !!

F' the USPS !!
Old 03-15-2003, 11:56 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

bumer...I bet the vendor did not specify Saturday Delivery

Quick Reply: What would you do ???