C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette care products???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 06:46 PM
twoinchgroup52
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette care products???

This is my first post on this forum. I recently bought an 82 CE in "new" condition with very low actual miles from Proteam Corvette in Ohio. I will be taking possession next month (after the few feet of remaining snow is almost gone). This is my first Vette and a gift to myself for getting through some horendous, major surgery. Let me say up front that my knowledge of cars is limited to pumping gas into it, putting it in gear and driving it to where I want to go. I've been perusing the catalogs of MidAmerica, Corvette Central, etc., etc., for exterior and interior care products. The more I read, the more confused I got. There are polishes, waxes, detailers, washes, leather conditioners and the list goes on and on. I finally ordered some products online. I bought Dry Wash and Guard (at the suggestion of luvmy82, who I noticed is on this forum also). I also sent for a shopping list full of Meguire's products. I have read articles on detailing and am still confused about which products to use with which to produce a blinding shine and protect my new toy. I don't want to apply something and screw up rather than enhance the car. Any tips or suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Twoinchgroup
Old 03-14-2003, 07:10 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Corvette care products??? (twoinchgroup52)

Welcome aboard the forum. You will get a lot of opinions on what products to use on your car and you will find there is a rather rabid group of Zaino crazies (me included) who think it's the best you can use. I used Meguiars products for 15 years and was always pleased with the way they brought out the shine but in my experience they were not durable. I was polishing the car every 3 or 4 weeks not because I wanted to but because I had to. I switched over to Zaino and I usually only polish 2 or 3 times a year and I usually do that because I want to, not because I have to. You can find more about Zaino in the car care forum or on Sal Zaino's website. Good luck with your new car.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:15 PM
JimmyS5600
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Vette purchase. I totally
agree with the advise vettfixr offered. A heck of alot of us on this forum
are Zaino addicts. Don't be afraid to ask questions here. Again welcome
aboard. :cheers:
Old 03-14-2003, 07:38 PM
twoinchgroup52
Advanced

Default Re: Corvette care products??? (JimmyS5600)

Which Zaino product do you recommend?
Would an 82 CE have a clear coated finish?
Thanks,
Twoinchgroup
Old 03-14-2003, 08:07 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I use Z3 on my car because I painted it in lacquer. I'm pretty sure you should use Z2 on yours. If you go to the Car Care section you can ask hcvone. He is a distributor and will be able to give you the real skinny. BTW if you do decide to use Zaino get the ZFX accelerator to mix with the Z2. It speeds up the drying time and allows you to do 3 coats at a time. Without it you have to put a coat on and wait a long time for it to dry before you can put on the next.
Old 03-15-2003, 04:59 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Corvette care products??? (vettfixr)

The Meguires stull is pretty nice also.

Old 03-15-2003, 07:26 AM
Milest
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

Zaino gets my vote. No white residue in seams after waxing, no problem waxing in the sun. Great shine and long lasting. Use the detail spray and follow tips on websight. You can't go wrong!
Old 03-15-2003, 07:58 AM
69bblock3x2
Instructor

Welcome,

I live just south of Sratoga off of exit 12 in Malta.

I'll throw in my vote for Zaino also. I started with the clay bar and went through the whole process.

You can also order it from Ecklers. I picked up what I needed from Marcel's Corvette shop in Mechanicville. I am not sure if he has any in stock or if it ordered it in just for me. It might be worth a shot.

John.
Old 03-15-2003, 08:09 AM
twoinchgroup52
Advanced

Default Re: Corvette care products??? (69bblock3x2)

Hey 69block,
I live 5 minutes from you, just off exit 11. Maybe when I get the car you can spare a few minutes time and share your detailing knowledge??
Regards,
Twoinchgroup
Old 03-15-2003, 08:15 AM
69bblock3x2
Instructor

Sure Iwould be happy to give you a hand. As soon as the snow melts. When do you think? June. :jester

John.
Old 03-15-2003, 08:28 AM
twoinchgroup52
Advanced

Default Re: Corvette care products??? (69bblock3x2)

John,
I'm getting the car shipped next month, but with the several feet of remaining snow, ice and salt it may be June until it's safe to drive.
I'm seriously considering joining the Adirondack Corvette Club. Do you know anything about it? I appeciate the help.
Twoinchgroup

Old 03-15-2003, 09:55 AM
69bblock3x2
Instructor

Twoinchgroup,

I don't know that much about the Adirondack Corvette Club other than the weekend long event that they hold every year in Lake George. They have a show, road tour, and autocross. It takes place in late June. I think it is held at the Roaring Brook Resort.

There is also the Adirondack NCRS. This is a local chapter of the NCRS that holds their meetings in Ballston Lake. If your car is as original as it sounds this is something that you might be interested in.

John.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette care products???