C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is required to put in a big block?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 05:00 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is required to put in a big block?

I'm thinking about putting a big block into to '77 and was wondering what was need to make the conversion from small to big block.
Here's what I've got so far:

-L-88 hood
-big block front spring (which one :confused: )
-better cooling system (I'm going with a complete Be Cool setup)

What else do I need :confused:

[Modified by Ryan77, 5:00 PM 3/14/2003]
Old 03-14-2003, 05:14 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What is required to put in a big block? (Ryan77)

might need some accessory brackets for alt and PS pump and what not plus whatever pulleys and such that are needed to line everything up.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:15 PM
467-Ratman
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What is required to put in a big block? (Ryan77)

You are on the way with the L-88 style hood, the front springs are pretty easy to get, most garages can look up what you need for either no a\c or a\c. Not very expensive, about 70 bucks plus installation. I did the swap on my 71 coupe last year, it was well worth the money and time I spent! You will want a good radiator, I went with the BeCool with twin spal fans. Also you will want to make sure your trany is in good shape, maybe look into getting a Muncie that is made for the Big block. New U-joints and check the drive shaft out too. The brackets need to be ordered as well for power steering and alternator. I got mine from Corvette Central here in Michigan, about 150bucks. If you want to check out a thread that one of the members posted here a couple of weeks ago, he put it in a very organized form for anybody making the change. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions, you will love the power, its unbelievable!!!!!
Old 03-14-2003, 09:05 PM
Ryan77
Drifting

Default Re: What is required to put in a big block? (467-Ratman)

Thanks :cool: . I'll be using the complete Be Cool setup, ROD 6 speed, solid u-joints, and the whole rearend will be rebuilt with much stronger parts.

Get notified of new replies

To What is required to put in a big block?

Quick Reply: What is required to put in a big block?