C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mosquito fogger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 03:52 PM
hauk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mosquito fogger?

Well yesterday I got brave and decided to take an overnight trip in the 73,I was feeling like a kid again when after 150 miles I looked in the rear view mirror and lo and behold I had totally smoked screened I 95,I got off the road as quickly as I could and raised the hood,Oil was blowing out of everything (dipstick tube,Oil vent cap,etc.) it had covered the engine,I called a tow truck and hit the airport car rental and drove back to Jacksonville and then returned this morning with a trailer and brought the vette homeThe symptoms are: Car starts fine --no strange noises--same oil pressure --does not get hot-after it runs a while it seems to build up pressure in the crank case and it starts blowing smoke out of the dipstick tube and the valve cover breather,I cleaned and checked the PCV valve and it seemed OK,What am I overlooking? The engine is a ZZ 3 no smog or cat,It has an Acel tuned port injection system. :confused:

[Modified by hauk, 3:53 PM 3/14/2003]
Old 03-14-2003, 04:24 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Mosquito fogger? (hauk)

I'm assuming that since it is a ZZ3 that it is a fairly low mileage engine, if it is, then I can't think of anything beyond what you have checked already. If the PCV is working and the crankcase is vented through a breather then there shouldn't be any positive pressure inside the engine, not without massive blowby.
My worn out old 350 that I pulled last year (stuck in a ZZ4) didn't even do that. Does your oil look good and clear (not milky looking, a sign of water in the oil)?
Old 03-14-2003, 04:34 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do a compression test. I'll bet you have a piston ring problem. :(

Brett :thumbs:
Old 03-15-2003, 08:47 AM
hauk
Instructor

Default Re: Mosquito fogger? (Brettmc)

I have to think that it is a ring problem or perhaps a hole in a piston,I did not hear any strange noise or feel any difference in the performance when it happened but a quart of oil left the crankcase quickly,I will do a compression check today and post results if anyone is interested. My thanks to the two people that posted a reply to my problem. :confused:

[Modified by hauk, 8:50 AM 3/15/2003]
Old 03-15-2003, 09:40 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

If your blowing white smoke out that exhaust then it's probably a head gasket leaking coolant into your cylinders.
Old 03-15-2003, 10:31 AM
hauk
Instructor

Default Re: Mosquito fogger? (SmokedTires)

No it is definately oil smoke,It is blue. :nopity
Old 03-15-2003, 10:49 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

I would guess a bad ring is causing massive blow by.
Old 03-15-2003, 12:56 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Mosquito fogger? (BSeery)

Are you using more oil ? Fouling plugs ? This could possibly be the intake manifold gaskets leaking oil into the cylinder heads. The only way I know to check this is to pul the intake & look to see if the bottom of the intake port does not seal properly.
Old 03-15-2003, 02:20 PM
74BBcherryred
Instructor

Default Re: Mosquito fogger? (SmokedTires)

This may seem stupid but i had a car a few years ado that was blowing oil out the dip stick and carb i also had no vacuum the problem was a mouse nest in the exhaust pipe . The engine would run fine for a very short time until the pressure got so high that the back pressure started to blow out the engine. Just a thought Dave :nonod:
Old 03-16-2003, 08:17 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Mosquito fogger? (74BBcherryred)

I just started my car for the 1st time in about 5 months. I was watching birdseed blow out the sidepipes cuase of the darn mice :lol: . It didn't want to fire for some reason :confused: , then I put alittle starting fluid in the carb figuring it was because the car has been sitting for so long & vrooooom, bird seed blasting the side of the garage wall :crazy: .

Get notified of new replies

To Mosquito fogger?

Quick Reply: Mosquito fogger?