C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking carb...help

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 03:27 PM
midwest-vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking carb...help

I have an Edlebrock performer carb on a performer intake. The carb leaks at the base of the carb right at the gasket. I've tried a new gasket and I have the nuts tight on the studs. I tried a new gasket, but the thing still seeps fuel down the sides of my intake around where I bolted the throttle linkage arm to the carb stud. Any ideas??
Old 03-14-2003, 03:39 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Leaking carb...help (midwest-vette)

I just installed an Edelbrock so I've read the manual recently. If you're talking about their square bore carb and not the Q-jet I believe it says that if you see fuel at the throttle shaft or at the bottom of the carb it indicates an improper float level. You can go on their site and take a look at the whole manual to troubleshoot it or give them a call but I would check this first. you may also have a stuck float that is causing flooding. They say to tap the rear of the carb gently with a rubber or plastic hammer to dislodge the float. Might be worth a try before you take the top off the carb to check the float. The owners manual shows you how to do it. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:49 PM
midwest-vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Leaking carb...help (vettfixr)

I have a copy of the manual and yep it mentions what you said. But, I know nothing about carbs. I tried the mallet trick. No go. It runs fine, just this leakage. It's the square bore. Can you provide any help specifically how to adjust the float level? I need a real simple explanation, the manual reads like chinese to me.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:30 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Leaking carb...help (midwest-vette)

I've never done this so what I'm telling you is straight from the owners manual. First you have to remove the fuel line connected to the top of the carb. You then have to remove the screws on top of the carb that hold the top on. You should then remove the metering rods. They are under the two small doors on top of the carb held by a screw each. Loosen the screws and slide the door over and you should be able to pull out the step up rods and springs(figure 4 in the manual). Be careful with them. You should then be able to remove the top. Make a note of which hold the linkage for the accelerator pum is connected to because you will have to tilt the top to get the linkage loose. Figure 9 shoes this linkage with 3 holes. Once you get the top off turn it upside down. Get a 7/16 drill bit and use it for a gauge. You should have 7/16 inch between the float and the top of the carb (figure 8). If it's lower or higher bend where the figure tells you to bend where the arm connects to the float until you get 7/16 inch. Once you get that right turn the top right side up and measure how far the float drops from the bottom of the air horn (figure 9). It should be 15/16 to 1 inch. If it isn't bend the tab shown in the figure until you get the right drop. Once this is all done spray the top and the fuel inlet with carb cleaner. You may have some dirt stuck in the needle and seat that is causing the float to not shut off the flow of fuel. Reassemble everything and give it a try. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:38 PM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Leaking carb...help (vettfixr)

I had a stuck float once. My mechanic told me to pump the hell out of the gas, then floor it when starting. Repeat.

I suppose the trick was to flush out the dirt that is causing the float to stick. I also want to add that I had to take the carb off and drop it by so he could take it apart and get all the grit out. :cheers:
Old 03-14-2003, 07:46 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Leaking carb...help (flood)

Another trick to free debris from needle and seat: If you have a rubber fuel feed hose pinch it shut with vise grips or disconnect the line from carb and plug the line with hose and bolt. Then start the car and let it run all the gas outa the bowl. Then reconnect the fuel line and restart. Ive seen this trick work before. The incomming rush of fuel will sometimes wash the debris away. just make sure the line is securely plugged. Dont want gas spittin everywhere startin a fire.

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking carb...help

Quick Reply: Leaking carb...help