C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tricks to getting lifters out

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 02:32 PM
sharkthehunter77
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any tricks to getting lifters out

I failed to mention the fact that at one point my blk 77 did sit for quite i while, maybe a year or so. I think the previous owner was also getting ripped of on HER oil changes ( U know, see a women pull into the garage and thats all she wrote) Anywho, I cant get the darn lifters out of the block, i am going to try all sorts of stuff today WD-40 and the like, then drop thew oil pan and scrap out/discard all that gunk thats probavbly keeping them there. I would like any advice you engine gurus can offer, thanks in advance.
PS and no body dsay anything about i new block, this one is just fine, just needs TLC,....alot of TLC!!!!!!
Old 03-14-2003, 02:54 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: Any tricks to getting lifters out (sharkthehunter77)

if you have the manifold off, which i assume you do now, put a finger on the top of each lifter and see if it will twist just under finger pressure. i can't imagine they would freeze in place in less than, like, 5 years. there is a special tool to remove lifters you should be able to check out of the hobby shop or even a local parts store. it's nearly impossible to remove them otherwise. i've gotten a couple out by leveraging two flat screw drivers on either side of the clip that holds the plunger in but most of the time the lifter will just spin in the bore and you can easily stab yourself if your not careful.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:07 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can raise them far enough to get vise grips on them it sometimes works. Once the visegrips are clamped on, rotate lofter back and forth in bore as you lift upwards. One time before I had this problem on a 351 *ord. I used a different trick to get these out. First I raised the lifters enough in the bores to slide the cam out. I then took a 1 1/2" section of pvc pipe and sliced it straight down the middle lengthwise making a half pipe of sorts. I glued a piece of plastic on the end to block the end then slid it into the cam bore and one by one, pushed the lifters down thru, pulling the pipe out each time to retrieve each lifter.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:34 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Re: Any tricks to getting lifters out (Jvette73)

I have never had any trouble pulling them out using a magnet.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:34 PM
Paul in Warren
Instructor

Default Re: Any tricks to getting lifters out (Jvette73)

Carefull ! :confused:
If the lifters have been mushroomed due to cam lobe failure, trying to yank them out "topside" can gall the lifter bores. Try some strong carb cleaner to melt away any deposits that may be hanging up the lifters in their bores - otherwise, send 'em downward to prevent lifter bore / engine block damage. :banghead:

[Modified by Hydratech Braking, 8:37 PM 3/14/2003]
Old 03-14-2003, 03:57 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Location: Sometimes I wonder... why is that frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: Any tricks to getting lifters out (Hydratech Braking)

Easy.. just wedge 'em out with a screw driver ;) :jester
:leaving:
Old 03-14-2003, 03:59 PM
wallyknoch
Pro

The {K D} tool company makes a lifter puller. Most quality shops [ not auto zone } that do engine work can identify this tool and sell you one. :thumbs: :cheers:
Old 03-14-2003, 04:05 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Any tricks to getting lifters out (wallyknoch)

like jvette said vise grips and keep spraying wd40 around as you twist back and forth but if they are mushroomed be careful like the above said,you could do damage to the lifter bore,just work slow and keep spraying.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:42 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Any tricks to getting lifters out (Hydratech Braking)

Carefull !
If the lifters have been mushroomed due to cam lobe failure, trying to yank them out "topside" can gall the lifter bores. Try some strong carb cleaner to melt away any deposits that may be hanging up the lifters in their bores - otherwise, send 'em downward to prevent lifter bore / engine block damage.

Second that with vigor. Use the carb cleaner and see what happens. If they are mushroomed the lifter bore may need to machined also.
Old 03-14-2003, 10:22 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

The KD tool someone else mentioned should do the trick. It is an extended tool with a plunger on one end and a pair of opposing "hooks" on the other end. The hooks engage the top of the lifter when the plunger is depressed and they grip rather firmly. You should be able to go up and down a few times and get them out easily. If everything is all rusty try some kerosene on the lifter galleys. :cool:
Old 03-14-2003, 11:57 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Okay Sharky, I'll tell you just what you what to hear. Youv'e got a good seasoned block that won't bore shift anymore. A real corvette enthusiat would only use the original metal block.
Now for the lifters I've got stubborn old ones out with a channel lock pliers and/or vise grips. Turn the engine slowly at the crank snout until the lobes move the lifters up enough to get a good grip. Don't plan to reuse them. :nonod: Last resort turn car upside down and shake three times vigorously. :jester :chevy
Old 03-15-2003, 10:10 AM
MILO851
Instructor

belive it or not OVEN CLEANER works wonders
Old 03-15-2003, 12:38 PM
sharkthehunter77
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Any tricks to getting lifters out (bigvette1)

I cant get the cam out so how would i send them downward? I am seriously looking into a crate motor now, I think i can scrounge up $1000 or so and just a new block in!? Any advice?
Old 03-15-2003, 12:54 PM
Paul in Warren
Instructor

Usually, you can get all the lifters out that will cooperate, then the remaining trouble makers can usually be coaxed up just high enough in the lifter bores to allow the cam to come out. Be careful not to hurt the cam bearings while trying to get the cam out - work patiently and gently. Then after you get "the bumpstick" out, send the lifters gently down through the bores, then carefully work them down through the lower rotating mass / crank and rods. A telescoping magnet is awesome for this! This is all assuming that you have the oil pan off, which on a C3 is really not too bad! (crack the steering centerlink loose of its mountings in the pitman and idler arm, drop the centerlink down and forward - nothing like oil dripping in the face!) :banghead:
Old 03-15-2003, 03:57 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

if the cam is still in place one little trick you may be able to use is rotating the cam to lift up the lifters. put the cam gear back on, just snug fit and rotate it. as long as the lifters aren't actually siezed in the bore, they'll lift up just a bit but enough to get a set of pliers, vicegrips or the lifter tool on. then, as long as they're not mushroomed, you can pull them all the way out. if they are mushroomed you may be able to get them to 'hand' long enough to get the cam out and then drop them down through the bottom.
Old 03-15-2003, 04:05 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Any tricks to getting lifters out (clutchdust)

one other thing, you know you need to remove the fuel pump, right? it also runs off the cam in the same way the valves do. likewise, if you try to pull the cam out before the pump rod is out, it will also catch on a lobe and hang up.
once the lifters and the fuel pump rod are removed, you should be able to pull the cam out fairly easily. it's kind of heavy just because it's a long, iron stick and you can only get a grip on one end. good reason to keep that cam gear on, gives you a little leverage. i have also been able to get a finger or two in some of the casting holes and lifter bores and apply just enough pressure to get the lobe off when it catches.
go slow and don't get frustrated. take lots of short breaks if you have to and clear your head. just stay calm and enjoy the process. like the old saying goes, "it's not the destination, it's the journey". you will enjoy this engine so much more once your done than you will just throwing money at the chevrolet parts department.
:) :cheers:
Old 03-15-2003, 05:57 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Any tricks to getting lifters out (MILO851)

belive it or not OVEN CLEANER works wonders
Yeah, oven cleaner & brake cleaner.

As for pulling lifters, forget the special tools. Just use some outside locking clip pliers:

Get notified of new replies

To Any tricks to getting lifters out

Quick Reply: Any tricks to getting lifters out