C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior paint gurus, HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 10:45 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Interior paint gurus, HELP!!!

This is a long story, but several weeks ago I had my seat buckets sprayed by a professional painters. They did a good job apart from the very edges (next to where the cushions fit). These were covered in lumps, bumps, rough patches, hair & fluff. The painter said that it would take ages to sort out as he'd have to flat it all down, blah, blah, blah. Ended up agreeing for me to flat the edges down with 400 grade, as they wanted, & take them back for more paint. Several weeks after taking them back I'm getting excuse after excuse (they need to do the whole lot again as I've stupidly flatted the edges down - like it was my idea & I spent every evening for a week doing it for enjoyment :mad ) & the latest is that it will look bad as he's got to paint over the sides & backs all over again. The paint will be so thick that it will be smooth, look bad & maybe even react with what's on there already (or what's left of it after all the chips that have appeared in it while it's been waiting for their attention. Somehow the chips are my fault).
I've had enough of this poopie so just want to strip off the paint & take them somewhere else, or do it myself, but what I need to know is how do I remove the paint? If I use thinners then I'll melt the plastic seat buckets. Has anybody ever tried blasting interior parts with a soft medium? Will it leave the plastic unscathed but remove the paint? Or is there any other way to solve the problem?
Please throw in any ideas you have as I'm at the end of my tether on this one :mad :mad :mad
TIA
Paul
Old 03-15-2003, 06:29 PM
Magic Fingers
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Interior paint gurus, HELP!!! (UKPaul)

Use very fast evaporating thinner on a rag in one hand, and a clean rag in the other, to wipe dry. Just did the same thing for a customer's 81 seat backs a year ago.Turned out excellent. Interior spraying and dying is an everyday thing at my shop. I only use SEM products. E-mail me for any needed info.

Magic Fingers
Old 03-16-2003, 09:44 AM
LRPMAN
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Interior paint gurus, HELP!!! (Magic Fingers)

We are going to redo ours from Red to Doeskin. The removal of the old finish with the fast flash thinners sounds good :) . Could you use enamel reducer iinsted of Lacquer thinners?
We are goiing to TRY some of the Prepping Agent we make and see how it works, IF it works. We will probably use SEM on the seat backs and my stuff on the leather. :cheers:

[Modified by LRPMAN, 2:44 PM 3/16/2003]
Old 03-17-2003, 05:10 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Interior paint gurus, HELP!!! (Magic Fingers)

Magic Fingers,
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to find some of those thinners & post the results for anybody else that gets into the same situation.
Forgot to mention - the painter also demanded that I paid him more money to cover his labour in sorting out his own mistake! In the UK we describe that as REALLY taking the p!ss :mad
:cheers:

[Modified by UKPaul, 10:39 AM 3/17/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Interior paint gurus, HELP!!!

Quick Reply: Interior paint gurus, HELP!!!