C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas legislative alert (now it's our turn)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 10:17 AM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Texas legislative alert (now it's our turn)

I just received an e-mail from SEMA this morning about some threatening legislation introduced in the Texas legislature. Here it is.

LEGISLATIVE ALERT

Texas Introduces Two Restrictive Inoperable Vehicle Bills

Two bills have been introduced in Texas that would further restrict the ability of Texas vehicle hobbyists from maintaining inoperable vehicles on private property. The first bill (H.B. 1129) allows municipalities to enforce land-use regulations that would affect vehicle storage and parking. The second (H.B. 1773) allows municipalities and counties to adopt ordinances that impose additional requirements on "junked vehicles." Under current Texas law, "junked vehicles" are defined as those vehicles with an expired license or an invalid inspection certificate and are inoperable for more than 30 days on private property. As you may know, having a "junked vehicle" in Texas can open hobbyists up to fines and possible removal of valuable project and parts cars by local officials.

We Urge You to Contact Your State Legislators in Opposition to These Bills

* H.B. 1129 and H.B. 1773 would give local authorities an inordinate amount of power in determining the disposition of project cars.

* H.B. 1129 and H.B. 1773 would make it even more difficult for Texas hobbyists to work on collector vehicles on private property.

* H.B. 1129 and H.B. 1773 demonstrate a lack of understanding of the vehicle hobby and the rights of hobbyists.

Contact your state legislators in Austin immediately by mail, phone, fax or e-mail in opposition to these two bills. These bills trample on the rights of vehicle enthusiasts and collectors in Texas. If you need assistance in determining who your legislators are and their contact information, please contact the Texas Legislature's General Information Line at 512/463-4630. This information can also be obtained by calling the SEMA Washington, D.C. office at 202/783-6007 ext. 39 or via the Internet at http://www.enjoythedrive.com/legisla...legislator.asp Please be certain to include your name and address on your correspondence.

For our records, forward a copy of your letter to the SEMA Government Affairs Office at brianc@sema.org mailto:brianc@sema.org or via the information below

Now it's time for all the Texans (including me) to do something about this. I know I keep posting these alerts for other states but now I can be directly involved in this one. I'm going to look up the state representatives and I'll post the letter that I send to them. I think this one is just as important as any emissions law. Think about the possibility that the government will tell you that the Corvette you are restoring must be surrendered and sent to a junkyard because it hasn’t been registered in the last 30 day. That is ridiculous.

[Modified by burners, 9:23 AM 3/14/2003]
Old 03-14-2003, 10:26 AM
81vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Texas legislative alert (burners)

Thanks for posting that information. I plan to call and write.

mark
Old 03-14-2003, 11:20 AM
burners
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Texas legislative alert (81vette)

Here is the letter that I wrote. Feel free to use it as a template or steal the whole thing. My reps don't have e-mail :rolleyes: so I am faxing them.

Name
Address

March 14, 2003

State Representative James L. Keffer
PO Box 857
Eastland, TX 76448-0857

Dear Representative Keffer:

I have just learned that H.B. 1129 and H.B. 1773 have been introduced to the legislature. Let me begin by stating that I am opposed to this legislation in every way. Please allow me to explain why.

1. These bills would give local authorities an inordinate amount of power in determining the disposition of project cars. This is something that they are NOT qualified to do.

2. H.B. 1129 and H.B. 1773 would make it even more difficult for Texas hobbyists to work on collector vehicles on private property.

3. H.B. 1129 and H.B. 1773 demonstrate a lack of understanding of the vehicle hobby and the rights of hobbyists.

4. I feel that this is the most important point. For all business owners that sell products directly to classic car hobbyists THIS WILL AFFECT BUSINESS DIRECTLY AND PROFOUNDLY. It will limit and reduce the number of project cars that are being worked on and completed and it will reduce the amount of projects available for the future. I can't sell any products if there aren't any car projects in progress. Hobbyists spend a lot of money to complete their projects. Most of this money is spent locally for parts and services. This money will disappear if legislation like this is enacted.

I strongly urge you to oppose this bill and to convince your colleagues to do the same.

Sincerely,
Old 03-14-2003, 06:42 PM
virtue4u
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I will write to oppose the legislation. I am, however, personal friends with my state representative. I will make sure he votes correctly -- or else!

[Modified by virtue4u, 5:43 PM 3/14/2003]
Old 03-14-2003, 08:38 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the info, I plan to write... :smash:
Old 03-14-2003, 08:45 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Re: Texas legislative alert (SharkAttack)

Thanks for posting this.

I have numerous friends in this hobby...mostly road racers or drag racers who may have a motor out, or whatever for more than 30 days. I know I have done this at times.

You know what I say... just TRY to haul off my hot-rod(s). They are protected under lock and key anyway. Trespassing onto, or breaking and entering my property to remove them (they are garaged...this is not a public-nuisance thing where something is parked along the street curb) will probably mean the loss of a limb or two, or if I miss my mark you might get it b/w the eyes. :p:

This is an absurd proposal and I do not think it has a chance of passing, but I will take the time to write and send this link to everyone I know in this hobby.

Old 03-14-2003, 11:38 PM
no_radio
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, so many of these jerks don't have email addresses on the web site...
time to fax!!
Thanks for the heads up!!
Old 03-14-2003, 11:45 PM
radwebster
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Texas legislative alert (no_radio)

oh my god...you have no idea how mad that gets me, hearin this news. who the hell are they to say what you can or cannot have on your own property??? :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad this better not pass....
:cuss
Old 03-14-2003, 11:57 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Texas legislative alert (no_radio)

I may not agree with what might be proposed in the legislation that is described, but this has nothing to do with car enthusiasts rebuilding/restoring cars that are titled and registered. And no one is going to come over to your house and pull a non-titled car out of your garage that you are using to restoring another one with. I think this has more to do with ordinances that even neighborhoods like mine have which do not allow junk lying around on your property that might take down property values around you. I have no qualms at all that my Homeowner's Association takes that stance nor do I take offense of it for the state of Texas to uphold the property values of communities that may not have the standards my subdivision holds when it impeeds value. Courtesy says that I would never put a junk car up on blocks on my property in view of my neighbors to use in a restoration project. Those neighborhoods that allow it just attract more of the same.

[Modified by bgrice, 5:02 AM 3/15/2003]
Old 03-15-2003, 12:11 AM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Re: Texas legislative alert (bgrice)

bgrice,

I agree with you on what the "intent" of this bill may be. But it gives a nasty neighbor who doesn't like loud cars a possible "in" if they actually research the laws thoroughly enough.

Like you, we have strict ordinances where I live about inoperable vehicles being parked for XX number of days in public view. I wouldn't park my stuff out like that anyway. And in fact, I've called on people before who have left old, dilapidated vehicles out. But these are real junkers and not parts cars or even a serious project car, but rather a car someone bought and parked as a "project I'll get to in a few years"... which we all know means more like 10 years, if that.

I agree that it would be almost impossible for there to be a situation where they would actually try to enforce something regarding a vehicle that is hidden from public view, but the way this bill reads... it opens the door to some wild possibilities, I think.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:42 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Texas legislative alert (WA 2 FST)

SEMA supports bills that allow reasonable control of junk vehicles but these bills give far too much power to bureaucrats that typically demonstrate very little common sense. If the legislature insists on introducing these types of bills then SEMA will try to work with them to word it in a way that is reasonable and fair to hobbyists.

Get notified of new replies

To Texas legislative alert (now it's our turn)

Quick Reply: Texas legislative alert (now it's our turn)