C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POR 15 on INSIDE of frame

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 10:02 AM
sray454
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default POR 15 on INSIDE of frame ???

I'm about to pull the body off my '72 and am thinking about a procedure to resore the frame. I've read where dipping is the best, but that any chemicals left inside the frame will actually hasten corrosion through the frame - so I'm thinking about using POR-15 on the inside on my frame.

Does this seem do-able??? And might it not work ???

[Modified by sray454, 9:31 AM 3/14/2003]
Old 03-14-2003, 10:30 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: POR 15 on INSIDE of frame (sray454)

A bunch of forum members have done this. I believe they used a garden sprayer to shoot it into the frame holes.
Old 03-14-2003, 10:40 AM
Zack Wenning
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: POR 15 on INSIDE of frame ??? (sray454)

I'm doing this next week. First I plan to THOROUGHLY spray out the frame with a rented high pressure washer. Then I will use POR-15's Marine Clean, then their Metal Ready. Then I'm going to sprayPor-15 paint inside the frame with a garden sprayer. I am going to collect the paint that drips out of the frame in can, strain it and then respray it.
Old 03-14-2003, 10:45 AM
Koz

Default Re: POR 15 on INSIDE of frame ??? (Zack Wenning)

I'm doing this next week. First I plan to THOROUGHLY spray out the frame with a rented high pressure washer. Then I will use POR-15's Marine Clean, then their Metal Ready. Then I'm going to sprayPor-15 paint inside the frame with a garden sprayer. I am going to collect the paint that drips out of the frame in can, strain it and then respray it.
I spoke to the guys at POR-15.. I told them about this procedure and the guy just laughed and said it wouldn't work.. He said "IF" you were able to get the paint to spray out of the sprayer you would be putting on TOO thick of a layer, it will most likely have bubbles in it from the sprayer and it will most likely not bond very well and peel... Wasn't a good idea.. Your choice but I would consult with them before doing it..
Old 03-14-2003, 11:10 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: POR 15 on INSIDE of frame ??? (Koz)

I spoke to the guys at POR-15.. I told them about this procedure and the guy just laughed and said it wouldn't work.. He said "IF" you were able to get the paint to spray out of the sprayer you would be putting on TOO thick of a layer, it will most likely have bubbles in it from the sprayer and it will most likely not bond very well and peel... Wasn't a good idea.. Your choice but I would consult with them before doing it..
It's got to be better than nothing at all IMO. I think that I would find a place that can dip the entire frame and then have it dipped in some sort of paint bath. There’s got to be places that do this kind of work. Eastwood may have a better solution. I think a good business venture may be a full frame powder coating operation.....that would be cool.
John
Old 03-14-2003, 11:26 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Mike:
What all are you doing? If you need a hand lifting....shoot me an email and I'll come-a-runnin!
Eddie
Old 03-14-2003, 11:26 AM
74BBcherryred
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: POR 15 on INSIDE of frame ??? (theandies)

This may seem stupid but has anyone had there frames sent out to a galvanizine company. Many years ago when i was going to and open the owner of the house was restoring a chevy truck and he had the frame dunked in a local galvanizing tank actually my company at that time used to send quite abit of steel there too for this process Dave :auto:
Old 03-14-2003, 11:28 AM
74BBcherryred
Instructor

This may seem stupid but has anyone had there frames sent out to a galvanizine company. Many years ago when i was going to and open house the owner of the house was restoring a chevy truck and he had the frame dunked in a local galvanizing tank actually my company at that time used to send quite abit of steel there too for this process Dave
Old 03-14-2003, 11:50 AM
sventy2
Intermediate

does anybody know off hand how much heat the por-15 can withstand ? i've used the stuff on frames and suspension parts and was wondering if it would work on an engine block?

p.s. make sure you wear gloves when working with the stuff. i found out the hard way.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:52 AM
Koz

It's got to be better than nothing at all IMO.
I'm not too sure.. If you can get the nozzle of somthing into the frame.. I'm going to look for a place tonight so I understand better.. Might be better off with a spray can of rustoliem catalyst of some sort. Changes rust to a primer black.. Garden sprayers will put on a thicker layer and if it won't stick it's not doing any good.. and it's a waste of expensive materials.. not to mention the mess using a product that doesn't clean off too easily. Dipping would be the best but since it's a frame on project that's not an option..
Old 03-14-2003, 12:12 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Eastwood sells this kit for $100. Seems to me you could accomplish almost the same thing with a garden sprayer... MJ
http://www.eastwoodco.com/aspfiles/i...747&T1=16019+Z
Old 03-14-2003, 12:32 PM
sray454
Pro

This is the spray gun I'm thinking of using ...

http://www.eastwoodco.com/aspfiles/i...RED=I&T1=16003

Specifically, the 30" flexible wand with the 45 deg. reverse directional nozzle. with 90 psi to the gun, seems as though you could stick the hose in 30 inches, pull the guns' trigger and then slowly pull the hose out so the reverse nozzle would disperse the paint as it came out. If POR-15 is too think, I'm sure any rust paint would be better than nothing.
Old 03-14-2003, 12:47 PM
sray454
Pro

Silvr77:

Started on a repaint after the 'last drive" last fall. In early January decided this would be a 'resonable' body-off restoration. Meaning - I'm not replacing anything "just because it doesn't look right". However, I will be returning the body to it's orginal color ( War Bonnet Yellow ), and will be returning the chassis to "correct" where it is "reasonable". I'll be sending the engine out for balancing, I'm thinking of tackling the tranny myself, but the rear will go out for rebuild. I'll be replacing the front and rear suspension with correct rubber and will rebuild the steering box and links.

The car is (was) a solid 2 1/2 to 3 and I hope to improve it to a 2+. I do not intend to try for NCRS or Bloomington - simply because a few VERY expensive parts are not "correct" ( Wipers = 600.00, LS5 Carb = $400.00, LS5 A/C Fan = $250.00, Interior is all replacement panels, etc).

In the end - I want a very NICE weekend driver.

I'd certainly welcome the help !!! I'm having fun now, the car is 95% stripped of paint. I have some previous body work to repair and am getting close to the body pull. I plan to use a hoist and the body dolly that rolls over the chassis - because I simply don't have the room in the garage.

Thanks again ...
Old 03-14-2003, 12:56 PM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like the same sprayer, only the one includes the paint.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:01 PM
Koz

This is the spray gun I'm thinking of using ...

http://www.eastwoodco.com/aspfiles/i...RED=I&T1=16003
This is much better than a garden sprayer and not that much more expensive.. You can put down a finer layer with air power than pump power.. I would think.. When are you doing your car? I plan to power wash mine this weekend.. Would like to know if it works with the POR-15.. :cheers:

Here's another thought. The guys at POR-15 said I needed to remove anything I didn't want to make permenant.. Tranny cross member, bolts, etc.. What about the brake lines inside the drivers side frame. Guess they will become a permenant fixture.. :rolleyes:

[Modified by Koz, 3:09 PM 3/14/2003]
Old 03-14-2003, 03:58 PM
Zack Wenning
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: POR 15 on INSIDE of frame ??? (Koz)

I agree that the kit using the air powered gun may be able to spray the paint finer, in fact I wish that I had that option. However, I do not have access to a compressor to power the thing.
A garden sprayer with POR-15 has been said to work well by several people and it will certainly offer more protection than spray can type prodects. If others have had luck with doing it this way, I see no reason for me not to have similar success.
I plan to have almost everything off the car that could bolts to the frame so I shouldnt have any problems there. Yeah, it may be difficult to get the old drivers side brake line out IF I ever take the body off which I cannot see ever happening. It will be worth the extra work to take it off if I ever do take the body off because of the peace of mind that I will have until that point.
I plan on painting the frame and reinstalling the rearend/suspension next week, I let you all know how it goes. :cheers: :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To POR 15 on INSIDE of frame

Quick Reply: POR 15 on INSIDE of frame