C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carpet install question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 09:23 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Carpet install question.

Well it looks like Mother Nature is playing tricks on the SouthEast. Supposed to be low 50's and rain all weekend after an entire week of sun and mid 70's. :mad
I am still planning on installing the carpet this weekend but want be able to lay it in the sun. I read on several threads some of you have used heat guns. How did you use them and did it work for you? I am assuming that you are using it on the back of the carpet correct?

Old 03-14-2003, 10:23 AM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Carpet install question. (BlackRat)

Just take it in the house and lay it out overnight. That's what I did with mine and it was plenty of temperature to get the material pliable and to lay flat.
Old 03-14-2003, 10:43 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Default Re: Carpet install question. (Bobchad)

Thanks Bob I will do that. I have had it laying in the garage the last few days but it has gotten pretty chilly out there the last couple of nights. Stay by your pc tomorrow I may need you! :yesnod: :lol:

Thanks
Wade
Old 03-14-2003, 10:53 AM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

You won't need any help. Once you get the corners in place, the areas that need trimming become self evident. You will wonder why this thing was giving you such worries.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:04 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Go get some 3M spray adhesive.....It works great. You can pick some up a K-Mart or Walmart or one of those mart-places.
John
Old 03-14-2003, 11:18 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Have confidence BlackRat. It's not rocket science. Take your time and study all the under lay sections. That's where the carpet tucks under a part, and is held in place by that part. (kick panels, door sills, seat belt retractor covers, REAR STORAGE COMPARTMENT, center console, etc. Lay it out, form it to contours, lay overlapping parts (see above list) in place to see how much to trim....and go for it! I always trim a little at a time. You can always trim more...but ya can't add back!!! GEE...I trimmed this three times and it's still too short! :lol: :lol:
Good Luck....
Eddie
Old 03-14-2003, 11:19 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

I hope you are right. I test fitted one of the rear wheel peices last night and it fits pretty good towards the front but seems to be really long toward the back.
Also towards the front of the wheel wells I have a tab about 2" long sticking up on the side of the wheel wells on either side of the rear. Some have suggested that this was for the seat belt retractors to mount to but they seeem kinda flimsy for that as they looked to be just resined to the wheel well and have one of those interior panel screw clips that except a #8 or #6 screw. They look factory. :confused: I have to figure out what these are before I start because I have to cut a hole in the carpet for them to poke thru. Any ideas? I am going to shoot a pic of them tonight and post them.

Thanks
Wade
Old 03-14-2003, 11:34 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Also towards the front of the wheel wells I have a tab about 2" long sticking up on the side of the wheel wells on either side of the rear. Some have suggested that this was for the seat belt retractors to mount to but they seeem kinda flimsy for that as they looked to be just resined to the wheel well and have one of those interior panel screw clips that except a #8 or #6 screw. They look factory. :confused: I have to figure out what these are before I start because I have to cut a hole in the carpet for them to poke thru. Any ideas? I am going to shoot a pic of them tonight and post them.
Thanks
Wade
Those tabs on the wheel well are outside mounting tabs for the shoulder belt retractor COVER.
This cover attaches to the rear quarter on the inside portion, and the tab on it's outside portion. The shoulder harness bolts directly to the wheel well.
Hope this helps!! Now GO FOR IT!!!! :smash: :smash: :smash:
Eddie
Old 03-14-2003, 11:51 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Default Re: Carpet install question. (Silvr77)

Eddie

The seat belt retractors mount flush to the bottom right by the wheel well correct? There is a threaded hole on both sides? Then the tabs simply hold down a cover correct?

If this is correct than it explains a lot.

Just read your signature. :lol: I think the same Bubba got to mine. :yesnod: Most of my interior was ripped out when I got the car.

Thanks Wade :cheers:

[Modified by BlackRat, 10:53 AM 3/14/2003]
Old 03-14-2003, 11:54 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Eddie

The seat belt retractors mount flush to the bottom right by the wheel well correct? There is a threaded hole on both sides? Then the tabs simply hold down a cover correct? If this is correct than it explains a lot.
Thanks Wade:cheers:
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: Are you done yet?? Pics?? :lol: :lol: (kidding)
Good luck with your project
Eddie
Old 03-14-2003, 11:56 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Default Re: Carpet install question. (Silvr77)

Thanks. Hopefully pics by Monday.

Wade
Old 03-14-2003, 12:04 PM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

Eddie

The seat belt retractors mount flush to the bottom right by the wheel well correct? There is a threaded hole on both sides? Then the tabs simply hold down a cover correct?
Here is a picture with the carpet and retractors in place and the tabs sticking up.
http://home.attbi.com/~jchadwick/DSCN0003.JPG
Old 03-14-2003, 05:23 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Here is an update. The rear peices are in and they look great. Like you all said I only needed to make minor cuts. I glued down the wheel well sides but left the rear mat laying because I have not gotten the cargo door assembly yet. Thanks for all of the help so far.

I have started on the driverside front and want to make sure that it is positioned right. The rubber heel inserts, One shoots up the left side up towards the dash. The way it lays in there it is to the right of the gas pedal. Is this correct or is it supposed to line up under the gas pedal? I am pretty sure I know the answer to this question but I just want to make sure.

Thanks again for the help so far everything looks awsome. :cheers: :party:
Old 03-14-2003, 07:30 PM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

Mine kind of goes to the right in the crease.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:51 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Thanks Bob. I just looked at your pics again and the carpet is in the same place as mine. I am done for the evening but will be back on it tomorrow.

Wade
:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Carpet install question.

Quick Reply: Carpet install question.