C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermo-Tec header wrap...any tips on install for me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 02:16 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Thermo-Tec header wrap...any tips on install for me?

I just recieved a box from Summit with my Thermo-Tec header wrap that I'm going to use on my tailpipes underneath my new VBP fiberglass spring. Any tips on install that will help me along? And I see in the directions that it says I need to use a product of theirs to seal it after I'm done, is this just an advertising ploy or do I really need the stuff? I would think if it' s that important they would include it with the wrap. Thanks.

-Justin
Old 03-14-2003, 10:22 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Thermo-Tec header wrap...any tips on install for me? (Ed T)

My headers have been wrapped for over 10 years without any sealer. I found soaking the wrap in a tub of water before wrapping for about 15 minutes made the stuff more pliable. I started with dry wrap and it didn't conform well so after soaking a piece and trying it I decided it should be saoked.
Old 03-14-2003, 10:38 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Thermo-Tec header wrap...any tips on install for me? (norvalwilhelm)

:iagree: Soaking before hand helps with the install :yesnod: .
Old 03-14-2003, 10:39 AM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Thermo-Tec header wrap...any tips on install for me? (norvalwilhelm)

I didn't install mine, the guy who put the exhaust on did it. He didn't use the sealer but I do intend to spray it since it sits so close to the ground. From what I've heard, once installed water is the #1 enemy of exhaust wrap. You can use radiator clamps or the high temp zip ties they sell.

I knew my habit of photographing everything would come in handy some time!
Old 03-14-2003, 12:46 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Thermo-Tec header wrap...any tips on install for me? (Cookwithvette)

I like the idea of wrapping the spring rather than the pipes, but my pipes run about the same as Cookwithvette's, so I am underneath the center clamp of the spring. I'll have to wrap the pipes where they go under the spring. I'll just soak the wrap a little bit and wrap it around the pipes half lapping it and using all stainless hose clamps to hold it on. That should take care of that. Ed, those chambered duals look great. My next exhaust system is going to be one of them.

-Justin
Old 03-14-2003, 07:34 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Thermo-Tec header wrap...any tips on install for me? (Dalannex)

I've had my fiberglass spring on my car for over 10 years and I've never had a heat related problem because of the exhaust being too near. I've read articles that wrapping pipes with the header wrap causes heat fatigue or failure due to the intense heat that the wrap holds in. I'd be careful before I did it.

Get notified of new replies

To Thermo-Tec header wrap...any tips on install for me?

Quick Reply: Thermo-Tec header wrap...any tips on install for me?