C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About my oil pressure and check engine light ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 10:31 PM
Vette Named Danielle
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About my oil pressure and check engine light ???

Guys, remember when I asked you about my oil pressure? I think I have a problem. At idle it is at approx. 40 lbs. when the car is off it is still at 40 lbs. When I turn the key but don't start it, it drops to 0 lbs. When I drive the car, it registers a few hairs past 40lbs. What's up with that?? I hope it's something easy or just the switch/sensor needing replaced. Maybe the PCV valve?
After running the '81 for a while the check engine light comes on now. It then goes off for some time. Where is my computer to check its memory. I had gotten one of those Auto Zone freebie keys to count the blinks for the codes years ago, where can I diagnose this??? Thanks ahead of time,
Brian :nonod:
Old 03-13-2003, 11:06 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: About my oil pressure and check engine light ??? (Vette Named Danielle)

OK, the oil pressure sounds normal. Just the way electronic guages work.

The ADL link is located under your ashtray. pull it out, you will see it under there. The computer itself is located in the battery compt.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:25 PM
MYPET70
Advanced

Default Re: About my oil pressure and check engine light ??? (Vette Named Danielle)

I agree that the oil pressure sounds fine. About the Check Engine Light....You should be able to short two of the contacts in the ADL connector referenced above and that same light will flash back the codes of why the light came on while running. Read your service manual and it'll tell you the particulars... Good Luck!
Old 03-14-2003, 08:02 AM
Vette Named Danielle
Intermediate

Default Re: About my oil pressure and check engine light ??? (wombvette)

For normal, it was a little scary. I just thought it would be pushing close to 80 lbs going pretty good. Is there something wrong with the gauge or shuld I just not be concerned at all? :nonod:
Old 03-14-2003, 08:06 AM
Vette Named Danielle
Intermediate

Default Re: About my oil pressure and check engine light ??? (MYPET70)

MYPET70, can you tell more on what wires to short, and how to get the codes from the ADL. I do have as mentioned a key type thing to put in, but I want to be sure I am doing it right. I have the basic '63-'82 service manual, so far I think that was a waste of money.
Thanks
Brian
Old 03-14-2003, 09:42 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

If I am not mistaken, 10psi per 1000rpm is acceptable. So 40psi is cool. Most only get up to 40psi and will stay there when idling or running at cruise speed.

Get notified of new replies

To About my oil pressure and check engine light ???

Quick Reply: About my oil pressure and check engine light ???