C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers and dual pattern cams?

Old 03-13-2003, 10:17 PM
FERL 73
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers and dual pattern cams?

Are there any considerations when putting headers on a an engine with a dual pattern cam?
Old 03-13-2003, 10:28 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Headers and dual pattern cams? (FERL 73)

YES!
buy the best quality headers you can! Try Thorley first and then anything else later.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:07 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Re: Headers and dual pattern cams? (FERL 73)

FERL 73 the longer duration of camshaft the more the scavenging effect from headers helps cylinder blowdown. Single pattern or dual pattern isn't as important as exhaust duration. I recall reading short single pattern cams <270 duration are not as responsive to headers as longer durations. A short duration cam won't allow much exhaust savanging anyways. The longer duration cams require more time to allow exhaust blowdown. :yesnod:
More important I think is a tight lobe centerline and for a 350 chevy 108 is tops. No one sells a C.A.R.B. legal 108 cl cam and if I didn't live California I'd have bought an Isky. :yesnod:
Old 03-17-2003, 08:35 PM
biggjimm
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Headers and dual pattern cams? (SanDiegoPaul)

YES!
buy the best quality headers you can! Try Thorley first and then anything else later.
I put doug thorley pro comps on my 73 and I think they are the best built headers I have ever seen. They are heavy gauge ( 14 gauge I think) chrome plated steel with 3/8 flanges and the primaries are 1 3/4 equal length tubes and they are welded to collector. they went right in from underneath and never touched a thing.part # DTE-350 $319.00 from summit

Get notified of new replies

To Headers and dual pattern cams?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headers and dual pattern cams?