C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another C4 or maybe a C3

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 12:40 PM
mistercorvette89
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another C4 or maybe a C3

I curently am selling my 89 to my brother. I like the 90-92 but I am also
considering the 1978-1980 C3. What would be some advantages in getting into a C3 instead of a C4?
Old 03-13-2003, 12:59 PM
still-learning
Racer

Default Re: Another C4 or maybe a C3 (mistercorvette89)

You came to the C3 section to ask about the advantage of buying a C3 over a C4??!! :eek: EVERYTHING!!!! Of course, this group may be a little biased.

Ok, now that I am done teasing. C3's are definitely a labor of love. My '77 takes a lot of maintenance to keep running. The cost issue is relative to your skill level. I am very much a novice mechanic so things tend to cost me more and take longer. For a skilled mechanic things might not be as bad. The benefit of a C3 is the looks. Unparalleled. :cheers:

If you want a car to just get in and drive then a C4 may be better. If you want a car to work o n then a C3.

Just my opinion...

Tim M.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:26 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

still-learning definitely has the right idea. And there are many C3s available that have low mileage -- especially later-year models. But you should put any car you're considering on a lift to make sure it's 50K and not 150K. (That's how I'm certain my car only has 59K.) Even then, however, I would not own this car if I had to rely completely on a mechanic.

My C3 has road handling capabilities beyond my skills as a driver. I throw it into turns HARD (at least I think so) and it doesn't even squeal! Horsepower is not a concern -- it's easy to get more oomph! We can help you with that here in this forum.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:33 PM
Adam Wartell
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

The C3 offers a body-style unlike any other car ever made!

That being said, C3s certainly have their share of problems. GM Quality control was at it's worst because production was so high.

Also, I think that more C3 (and prior) model owners are more the true Vette enthusiast than C4 owners. Since C3 owners have to pour more love and tenderness (and money) into their C3s it makes them appreciate it more.

Whatever you wind up with, let us know!

Good Luck.
Old 03-13-2003, 02:05 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

Never driven a C4, but I would bet the stock tires on a C3 would disappoint you as well as the stock steering. Especially since they would probably be in disrepair on your potential C3. Chances are your brakes would be in disrepair and the suspension would be too. If you paid $10k+ you would probably end up with a C3 in decent condition with many of these problems remedied. In any case, pay to have a mechanic check it out or recruit a local C3 owner to have a look at things before buying a car. If you are interested in doing the work yourself, you could probably find a good deal on a C3 that needs all of the above. In which case, you would quickly become a major contributor in this forum because you could find the answers to any problem you have here.

Again it all depends on what you want. If you don't want to work on a car, then be prepared to spend a good load of $ to get a completely reworked car. And even then if it has stock wheels/tires, you may not be satisfied with the roadhandling compared to a C4 with Z-rated rubber.

Personally I, obviously, would recommend you go with a C3 but you gotta have the LOVE or you will be disapopinted IMO.
-terry

Get notified of new replies

To Another C4 or maybe a C3

Quick Reply: Another C4 or maybe a C3