C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Painting...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 11:30 AM
myyellowc3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Painting...

I have aquired a set of Headers that are used. They need to be bead blasted and re-painted. What is the best paint to use, and I was thinking a pewter color. Has anyone else colored they're headers this color?

:smash: :crazy: :D

Rich
Old 03-13-2003, 11:37 AM
Gator81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Header Painting... (myyellowc3)

I had mine (not really headers, but "tubular manifolds", the stock item on '81's) bead blasted, then I spot welded a few cracks, did some grinding to clean them up for improved flow, and then painted with Plasti-Kote Hot Paint. I got the paint at Pep Boys.

It's in a spray can, silver color (also available in black and white, I think). It's very much like powder coating, because this paint will NOT cure on its own. It must be baked before it will cure. If you don't bake it, it will just rub off.

For headers, if you can't find an oven big enough to bake them in, you can let the paint cure as much as possible by leaving them out in the sun, maybe on a black surface for a few hours, and then carefully install them so as to not mess up the paint. Then the engine heat will cure the paint completely.

I did mine in 1994, and they still look great.

Good luck! :seeya
Old 03-13-2003, 05:26 PM
Lasse
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Header Painting... (Gator81)

9 years ago, sounds great!

I did mine today in my garage and took them to a powder paint company afterwards that got an own that baked them for 45 minutes at 600°F. I will pick them up tomorrow, hopefully with good result... :cheers: http://www.plastikote.com/plastikote...oduct=HotPaint
Old 03-13-2003, 05:35 PM
myyellowc3
Advanced

Default Re: Header Painting... (Lasse)

wow, sounds like a good idea. Maybe I will go that route.

Rich
Old 03-14-2003, 01:27 PM
Lasse
Burning Brakes

Bad news...

Despite that I follow the instructions precisely, sandblasted etc., the result was terrible. The paint had fall of in flakes and also bubbles had raised up. The only thing I can think that I could have done better is to use a stronger cleaner than thinner. :skep:
Old 03-14-2003, 01:47 PM
myyellowc3
Advanced

Default Re: Header Painting... (Lasse)

Sorry to hear about your results. I found a local shop that will bead blast and ceramic coat my headers for 150.00. I am not sure if that is a fair price or not. I may end up just painting these header because they are used. If and when I buy a new pair I will have them ceramic coated.

:sad:

Rich
Old 03-14-2003, 03:17 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

A brand new set of Dynomax Ceramic coated headers are only $220 @ Summit. I'd go with the new ones. Just my .02
Old 03-14-2003, 04:39 PM
myyellowc3
Advanced

Default Re: Header Painting... (Stewart's74)

Thanks for the info. I will go with the precoated ones when I buy new.

:D

Rich
Old 03-14-2003, 10:27 PM
WhyFly
Instructor

Just my 02 cents..I've never had much luck painting headers.I have used the best hot temp spray you can buy and the results have been less than satisfactory. If it doesn't peel or bubble within a couple of weeks, it fades and looks tired in a few months...Even powder coating headers doesn't work, the pipe temps are just too hot. For what it costs, the best way to go is with the ceramic coating. There are a lot of colors to choose from and the results are usually guaranteed for 3 to 5 years. They look great and the benefits of the heat reduction are a plus both under the hood and in the passenger compartment. Check it out..for what you'll pay, I think you'll be sold.
:thumbs: :chevy
Old 03-14-2003, 10:54 PM
hgpreston
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a guy close to me that has a Vette shop (Corvette Connection). He makes and sells header/exhaust manifold paint that I've had great luck with. Not a lot of prep work is required other than removing all the old paint. It's a cast iron gray color and once it's applied you rub it with newspaper to give it a cast look. Works great and hasn't come off and I've been using it for about 4 years. His name is John McGee and his number is 615-444-2182. I buy some parts from him from tiem to time and he's great to deal with. You can tell him Tim Preston told you about the paint. It's called E.M.T. Hope this helps. :D

Get notified of new replies

To Header Painting...

Quick Reply: Header Painting...