C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yikes! Almost $800 for rotors/pads! DIY or pay?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 10:00 AM
Captain_Kaboom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Yikes! Almost $800 for rotors/pads! DIY or pay?

Dropped it off last nite, the guys at Kauffman Tire say that the rotors have been worn too thin and need replaced, and the pads have crystalized and need replaced as well. ~$95 for each front rotor, ~103 for each rear rotor, and with the pads almost $800 smackers total.

How do I tell if the rotors are worn too thin and really need replaced?
Never done brakes on a car- feasible to DIY with my limited experience and tools?

Old 03-13-2003, 10:06 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Default Re: Yikes! Almost $800 for rotors/pads! DIY or pay? (Captain_Kaboom)

Well if you ask me you paid $300 something for labor for an under two hour job.

All you need is dial calipers to measure the rotor width. The book has a minimum safe width.

[Modified by gkull, 9:08 AM 3/13/2003]
Old 03-13-2003, 10:14 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,338 Posts

you can get rotors for $60 each and pads for less. They might have to drill the rear rivets out to get the rotors off but that sounds high to me. I'd do a search here on brakes and if you're able,do the job yourself.
Gary
Old 03-13-2003, 10:16 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

:_dupe:
It's time for you to learn about brakes! These cars have a pretty good appetite for brake pads, so this likely won't be the only time you do this job.

Do you have a shop manual? Read it first!

What's a crystallized pad? Never heard of it -- could be true, though. You can visually inspect pad thickness by removing the tires and looking down at the top of the caliper. You can even pull the pads if necessary. But I'd get some of those clips from Ecklers (etc.) that hold the caliper pistons back. Makes replacing 100 times easier.

If things look bad, pull the rotors and take them to a machine shop. They will check them with a dial indicator and turn them if they're OK. Only a few bucks each -- tell 'em to stuff it if they want some outrageous amount.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:27 AM
Koz

Never done brakes on a car- feasible to DIY with my limited experience and tools?
Not knowing your experience it's hard to tell you what you can and can't do. $800 bucks sounds way out of line. Drilling out the rear rivits was pretty easy. Start out with a small bit and work your way up.. Most of the stuff on these cars are pretty easy to work on and with the help of the forum you should be ok. You could try calling the local Chevy dealer.. or two dealers and ask them what they would charge. I was surprised where the local dealer wanted almost 3 times the amount than a dealer closer to where I work.. and the dealer was cheaper than the local garage too.. At least you'll have some more numbers to work with..
Old 03-13-2003, 10:46 AM
Captain_Kaboom
Racer

Default Re: Yikes! Almost $800 for rotors/pads! DIY or pay? (page62)

ah I just told him I didn't have that kind of cash. Based upon his info and what I have read, it does sound like my rotors are warped. But then the guys starts talking about how expensive "these old corvettes are" with parts and such- and how I'm getting off "easy"... I think that's a pretty good signal to take my biz elsewhere.. am I wrong? WTF is so unique about old GM sports cars? Dual piston calipers? Bah!

Old 03-13-2003, 10:55 AM
fishman
Heel & Toe

I'll do it for $750 and drive to Georgia :lol: Seriously though, even with limited experience, once you look the brakes, you will see that they are pretty easy to remove. Hardest part is removal of the rotors and that is not that bad. My vote is to definately tackle it yourself.

Good luck :cheers:
Old 03-13-2003, 11:07 AM
Koz

Default Re: Yikes! Almost $800 for rotors/pads! DIY or pay? (fishman)

I've done the rears on my car.. not the fronts yet.. Is it basically remove the caliper, remove the nut holding the bearing, remove the bearing and slide off the rotor?
Old 03-13-2003, 11:11 AM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

. But then the guys starts talking about how expensive "these old corvettes are" with parts and such- and how I'm getting off "easy"... I think that's a pretty good signal to take my biz elsewhere.. am I wrong? WTF is so unique about old GM sports cars? Dual piston calipers? Bah!
I'm not sure, but does his estimate include all new front bearings and seals ?
It's definitely the time to do it, since they need to be removed - and likely
will get dirty in doing so.

Well, perhaps this guy has padded the estimate (like it would ever be less)
to cover his butt - in case he runs into trouble. More likely, he's trying to cash
in on the 'love' between a vette and her owner. You can do it. Buy the book,
read the book, do the job. It's tricky getting all FOUR pistons held back
while putting the calipers back on - so the suggestion to get a set of pad
clips is a good one. If you have a helper with you (2 more hands) - you can
get by easily without 'em.

Before you start - make sure you don't run into any surprises. Check the
condition of the flexible hoses and don't let the caliper hang by the hose.
Buy a can of brake cleaner and get the rotor surface totally oil free before
putting the wheel back on. Also, try not to get greasy hand/finger prints on
the pad surfaces.

[Modified by NHvette, 11:13 AM 3/13/2003]
Old 03-13-2003, 11:13 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

ah I just told him I didn't have that kind of cash. Based upon his info and what I have read, it does sound like my rotors are warped. But then the guys starts talking about how expensive "these old corvettes are" with parts and such- and how I'm getting off "easy"... I think that's a pretty good signal to take my biz elsewhere.. am I wrong? WTF is so unique about old GM sports cars? Dual piston calipers? Bah!
You were definitely being fed a load of :bs I just helped a 17-year-old kid in my neighborhood replace his front rotors, calipers, and pads. We had a machine shop remove the rivets and repack the bearings (cheap).

Any forum members in Atlanta? Hello!
Old 03-13-2003, 11:18 AM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Yikes! Almost $800 for rotors/pads! DIY or pay? (Koz)

I've done the rears on my car.. not the fronts yet.. Is it basically remove the caliper, remove the nut holding the bearing, remove the bearing and slide off the rotor?
Essentially, yes.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:40 AM
Koz

Default Re: Yikes! Almost $800 for rotors/pads! DIY or pay? (NHvette)

Essentially, yes.
Captain - You should have no problems... (famous last words.. :eek:) Repack your bearings while your in there..
Old 03-13-2003, 02:10 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Yikes! Almost $800 for rotors/pads! DIY or pay? (Koz)

I say put out the call to forum members in and around your area. Get some beers, maybe order a couple of pizzas, and have some forum friends over to help out. If I were closer I'd be right over. You could shop around and find some pads and rotors for the best price then, and have things ready so that when everybody comes over you could have a "hands on class" on brake jobs.

-Justin :party: :auto: :reddevil :banghead: :lurk: :_dupe: (my 4 year old picking out smilies again. :D )
Old 03-13-2003, 02:54 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Yikes! Almost $800 for rotors/pads! DIY or pay? (Dalannex)

AutoZone sells the pads for $9.00! And they usually have other C3 brake parts in stock. All reasonably priced.

Old sports car, my foot. Chevy made half a million of 'em and a LOT are still on the road. :chevy
Old 03-13-2003, 03:23 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

I sell rotors for $62.99 each and front pads for $19.99. The labor is not that much. This guy is taking you for a ride and it's not in your vette.
Old 03-13-2003, 03:36 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: Yikes! Almost $800 for rotors/pads! DIY or pay? (Van Steel)

:iagree: with what Van Steel and others have said. Do it yourself and you will know that it is done correctly; something that is far from guaranteed at many shops. Since it is your first time, there is a learning curve but it will give you a chance to get to know the car. before you know it, you will have quit your job and be spending all your time and the last of your money on the Vette. :thumbs:
Old 03-13-2003, 05:24 PM
Captain_Kaboom
Racer

Default Re: Yikes! Almost $800 for rotors/pads! DIY or pay? (R. Bruno)

Since it is your first time, there is a learning curve but it will give you a chance to get to know the car. before you know it, you will have quit your job and be spending all your time and the last of your money on the Vette. :thumbs:
Hehe almost there! Spend a lot of time at work on the forum (but I spend a lot of time on work at home too), and if the wifey had ANY indication of how much $$ I've been spending on the vette she'd drag me outside and beat me with a stick...

I wound up calling this little tire shop that I used to take my cars/trucks to for tires and maint. I asked the guy there if he would give me a quote to do all of this- if needed. Much more realistic pricing, well under $400. He's a vette fan, too. Used to have a '78, and he's been kicking himself for passing up an opportunity to buy a '65 BB some time ago.

As much as I'd love to do this myself (and have a brake party w/ forum folks), I just don't have the time (or the tools). I want to get the interior finished real soon and have the rest of the car ready for a Corvette Cruise at the end of this month (From Atlanta to Helen Ga and back!). It's my first Vette event! I can't wait to meet the other vette owners..

Thanks for all the comments guys, you're right on the money. Glad I got to keep mine!

Get notified of new replies

To Yikes! Almost $800 for rotors/pads! DIY or pay?

Old 03-13-2003, 06:26 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The prices they quoted you on rotors are definatly high. Espicially the rear ones. They must be marking thier cost up to make more $ from you. I just bought high end carbon metallic pads for $70 for all 4 wheels. Even when you add thier parts prices up they are still charging you nearly $400 in labor. That seems too high. If you shoped around on yur own you could probably get rotors and pads for around $300. I'de either get a second opinion from another shop or put yur overalls on and tackle the job yourself. Its not a big deal. Plenty of us on here are willing to help answer questions on the process.

I just saw your last post. I missed it the first time. Heck, under $400!!! Thats a good deal. That quote sounds low.

[Modified by Jvette73, 5:30 PM 3/13/2003]
Old 03-13-2003, 07:06 PM
78whtshark
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Old sports car, my foot. Chevy made half a million of 'em and a LOT are still on the road. "

Garages especially chains, (goodyear, firestone, etc) use the old car excuse to charge much more. And it's a Corvette.

I had a 1971 Pontiac Lemans Sport Convertible that needed front end work, a local chain state, it needed $1200 parts and labor to rebuilt the front end so it could be aligned. Parts are hard to get for old cars. BS

All the parts ($125) were available at Autozone, and a local front end - alignment shop did the labor for $250, thus total was $375, including the alignment.

Shop around and do your own parts price check......
Old 03-13-2003, 08:10 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Yikes! Almost $800 for rotors/pads! DIY or pay? (78whtshark)

Do it yourself. Not only is it not really that hard, but that is how you get experienced.

Quick Reply: Yikes! Almost $800 for rotors/pads! DIY or pay?