C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frame paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 09:10 AM
Restorer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frame paint

I have received a recommendation to use Sherwin-Williams 2-component Polane paint to paint the frame with. This is an industrial polyurethane paint and not part of their automotive line. They also told me that this paint does not require a primer to adhere and protect properly. They gave me a sample and it appeard to be really good hard scratch and peal resistant paint. No chipping at all either. Anyone else used it? Did you use a primer? This paint is rather costly but seems very good (harder than samples of other paint I have like chassis black etc), and if I can eliminate the cost of epoxy primer and catalyst, I would like to.
Thank you much!
Old 03-13-2003, 10:16 AM
81vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Frame paint (Restorer)

POR 15 is what most people on here use. maybe someone else will chime in.

mark
Old 03-13-2003, 10:30 AM
Koz

Default Re: Frame paint (81vette)

I'm going with the POR-15 too. With as many people here using it and liking the results why try something else?
Old 03-13-2003, 10:30 AM
FASGLAS
Race Director

CI 4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Default Re: Frame paint (81vette)

POR 15 is what most people on here use. maybe someone else will chime in.

mark
:iagree: http://www.por15.com/ :thumbs:
Old 03-13-2003, 11:21 AM
LABulldog
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Frame paint (FASGLAS)

For those of you who have used POR-15, what color did you use? Would gloss black or semi-gloss black look better on a frame?

:steering: & :seeya
Old 03-13-2003, 11:25 AM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Frame paint (LABulldog)

I used gray and then painted over it with semi-gloss. I had used black the first time but it was very difficult to see if I had missed a spot.
http://home.attbi.com/~jchadwick/rustproofing.htm
Old 03-13-2003, 11:44 AM
Koz

Default Re: Frame paint (Bobchad)

I used gray and then painted over it with semi-gloss. I had used black the first time but it was very difficult to see if I had missed a spot.
http://home.attbi.com/~jchadwick/rustproofing.htm
Did you remove all the frame bolts and cross members before using the POR-15 or did you just paint over them?
Old 03-13-2003, 12:12 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Default Re: Frame paint (LABulldog)

i debated on gloss black, but went semi gloss instead....i think semi gloss makes it look cleaner and more original...i had a chevelle and painted the front end parts gloss, and i never was happy with it.
Old 03-13-2003, 12:30 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Frame paint (Bobchad)

I use the silver - for that reason. Plus - it has metal in the coating - supposed
to fill rough surfaces better. The contrast to topcoat is better. I top coat with
Krylon semi-flat black for a factory look. Check out my sig pic for a 4 step
process: stripped, silver POR, dusting of topcoat, fully topcoated. See the website for more detail.

If your frame is rusty on the surface (still) then this is the way to go. The POR
product WANTS a surface layer of rust to stick to. If your frame is clean, then
another paint may be better.

[Modified by NHvette, 12:32 PM 3/13/2003]
Old 03-13-2003, 12:36 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Frame paint (REDSHARKONBOYDS)

I like epoxy primers and top coats. Very durable. As for the frame, I'm gonna powdercoat mine.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:25 PM
Robd
Pro

Default Re: Frame paint (Twin_Turbo)

I painted mine with Morton's black Epoxy Primer. I liked the sheen of so much I left it as is. I must admit I am thinking now just for longevity and durability I almost wish I had powder coated it.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:45 AM
Restorer
Intermediate

Default Re: Frame paint (Robd)

I forgot to say that the frame is out of the car and I have a sandblaster. I will not use POR-15. It may be a better choice it you cannot get the rust completely out. But I will be painting clean metal so I will use some catalyzed paint.
Powdercoating or some other paint only protects the outside while zinc plating would protect the inside equally and that is probably more important. I may still only do the sand blast and poyurethathane paint and shoot inside with some good rubberized undercoating to control cost. What do you think?
Thank you much!
Old 03-14-2003, 02:06 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wanted to reproduce the factory sheen on my frame, so I primed it with catalyst primer, and used Rustoleum Semi Gloss enamel. Perfect shade.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:36 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

be carefull with zinc plating, they dip your frame in a hot solution. Sometimes welds will crack from this.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:21 AM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Frame paint (Koz)

Did you remove all the frame bolts and cross members before using the POR-15 or did you just paint over them?
A little of both.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:38 AM
72 Stingray
Instructor

I'm taking a little different route with mine. Luckily, I live within easy driving distance of Carponents in Belleville, MI. They specialize in dip stripping and E-coating. Their process COMPLETELY removes rust and then e-coats all of the frames surfaces, inside and out. I had them do the frame and all of the boxed section c/ms (front, trans, diff, gas tank). Just got the parts back a couple of weeks ago and they look great, better than new. There is some concern about topcoats adhering to E-coat, but my local PPG rep assured me that their DP line of epoxy primers will do the job when used with the correct catalyst. I plan on shooting everything with the DP black this weekend. I have used this material in the past and the semi-gloss finish is just what I'm looking for. I'll also be getting the rad support E-coated and will cover it and the miscellaneous suspension pieces with DP also.

Good Luck

Jeff
72 Convertible
Frame-Off & Conversion to BBC/TKO in Process

Get notified of new replies

To Frame paint

Quick Reply: Frame paint