C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frame odd, please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 08:53 AM
Restorer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frame odd, please help

I have a trapezoidal shaped 1.75"x2" approx piece welded on drivers side only but not on pass side. It is located where the cross member that supports the differential is located. it is near the "dome shape" mount for the cross member. If is in the front and connects the front of the mounting pad for the "dome" shape mount to the frame. Hopefully this explanation will work for someone! :lol: My concern is that I have it only on the dirver's side but not on pass side. On the pass side there is not a trace of any welds or griding there, so it has not been removed. Is the piece on dirvers side an "aftermarket" addition? Is ther supposed to be one on one side only? Did the factory leave the pass side out? The "face" of this part is perpendicular to the direction the frame moves when the car is driven. It basically is a reinforcement for the cross member mount.
Thank you much!
Old 03-13-2003, 01:41 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Frame odd, please help (Restorer)

You mean the piece on the left in this picture ?

They weren't installed in 68 - but 69-up should have 'em on both sides.
Yup:

I've seen 'em for sale - but can't find 'em now.

:seeya :seeya
Old 03-13-2003, 01:48 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You are talking right in front of where the rubber donut on the differential crossmember goes in right? Sounds like somebody patched a rusted spot to me. I have noticed that most older frames are rusted through in that crossmember. Check it over to see if the rest of the crossmember has any rust. Pound on it with a hammer to see if you can break through. If not, I guess we'll never really know why that patch was put on, but if the rest of the crossmember is solid, don't let it bother you a whole lot.

-Justin
Old 03-14-2003, 01:28 AM
Restorer
Intermediate

Default Re: Frame odd, please help (NHvette)

Thanks for your help guys, but the part I'm talking about is further back. I wish that I had a digicam. Start with the removable cross member that the differential mounts to. it has essentially a rubber lined "cup" at each end. On the frame itself there is a "dome" that goes inside the cup in the crossmember. The dome is in a middle of a flat "platform". The gusses I am talking about ties the flat "platform" to the siderail of the frame. The piece is trapezoidal in shape and approx 2" x 1.75". The piece is perpedicular to the direction the drives. I have one on driver's side but not one on pass side. Also, not a sign of any welds indicating it was removed.
Dave, I hope you won't take this the wrong way, but after seeing those pics I think I know where the word "Danger" comes from :cool:
You may not want to hear this, but here in GA I found a 73 that has no pits, only some light surface rust and mostly just factory paint in that area. And not talking about a restored car or a trailer/garage queen. It was the previous owners only car.
EDIT: Justin, you have the right part. However, it is not a patch in the cross member itself. It is a piece that thies the cross member mount to the frame siderail.
Thank you much!

[Modified by Restorer, 6:31 AM 3/14/2003]
Old 03-14-2003, 02:42 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh, OK. Is there any sign of body damage in that area of the body? As if the car was wrecked and the rear crossmember was busted off on that side? Either way, if the crossmember measures up straight on the frame, then it's been fixed good enough, let it be and forge onward. It could just be that the frame cracked right there and somebody wanted to reinforce it a little bit when they fixed it. Nothing wrong with that. either way there shouldn't be a piece like that back there. don't worry about it. Check for rust and move ahead. I have welded the back half of a chrome bumper frame onto the front half of a 78-82 frame 3 times and it worked out great every time. I add gussets to the frames when I do it just for extra strength. It wouldn't do for NCRS, but for a good strong repair there's nothing wrong with adding an extra piece.

-Justin

-Justin
Old 03-14-2003, 08:50 AM
Restorer
Intermediate

Default Re: Frame odd, please help (Dalannex)

Justin,
Yes, there was some body damage on the side that does not have this gusset (pass side). The gusset is only on the driver's side. There are no signs on the pass side that a similar part was once there. I blasted the paint off from there and no signs of broken welds or grinding, the part was never there.
Thank you much!

Get notified of new replies

To Frame odd, please help

Quick Reply: Frame odd, please help