C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 production & off road exhaust questions

Old 03-12-2003, 10:33 PM
colo63sw
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Default 68 production & off road exhaust questions

A couple of questions on a 68 427 I was looking at on ebay.
The car had side pipes, I thought only 69’s came with side pipes. I see more than 4000 were made with off road exhaust, was this under car chambered, or side pipes?

The car’s S/N was 27xxx, this puts it close to the end of production. The trim tag which was quite fuzzy in the photo looked like it had a ‘M’ as build date, definitely didn’t look like a ‘L’, is this possible?

Thanks in advance.
:confused: :confused: :crazy:
Old 03-12-2003, 11:04 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Re: 68 production & off road exhaust questions (colo63sw)

I'm pretty sure that there were no 68's with sidepipes... Don't know what the "off road" exhaust was...
Old 03-13-2003, 12:08 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: 68 production & off road exhaust questions (colo63sw)

Rowdy Rat is the one to ask about this, but I believe those 4,695 '68's with N11(Off Road Exhaust)were NOT sidepipes at all, but these were rear pipes that went into the muffler that were actually "flattened" or "oval shaped" which allowed MORE ground clearance. There were "no sidepipe exhaust" in '68 production, but I believe there was a "GM" over-the-counter side exhaust system with a part number for '68s. It would have been dealer installed or installed yourself, if there was such an option. There is an International Blue '68 L-88 coupe on the West coast in a collection with like 5200 original miles that has these "supposedly" OTC sidepipes. I think the exhaust was manufactured by "Kustom" mfg back in the '60s.
Late '68s were indeed built into August of '68 :D :D :D
Old 03-13-2003, 10:50 AM
colo63sw
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Default Re: 68 production & off road exhaust questions (Paul Borowski)

Thanks Paul.
Funny how all the resources I checked had no mention of 68 August production. :thumbs:
Old 03-13-2003, 11:06 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: 68 production & off road exhaust questions

John,

Paul's information is correct. The N-11 off road exhaust system for 1968 was an under car system that looked nearly identical to the standard exhaust... They were not chambered like the 1965-1967 N-14 side exhaust. To the best of my knowledge, the big difference was that low restriction mufflers were used when N-11 was ordered.

I remember seeing one original system on a 1968 L-89 convertible in the Cleveland, OH area years ago, but that's about it... Of course with a nearly identical external appearance, it would be hard to tell without seeing a build order or window sticker.

Regards,
Old 03-13-2003, 11:42 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rowdy Rat is the one to ask about this, but I believe those 4,695 '68's with N11(Off Road Exhaust)were NOT sidepipes at all, but these were rear pipes that went into the muffler that were actually "flattened" or "oval shaped" which allowed MORE ground clearance. There were "no sidepipe exhaust" in '68 production, but I believe there was a "GM" over-the-counter side exhaust system with a part number for '68s. It would have been dealer installed or installed yourself, if there was such an option. There is an International Blue '68 L-88 coupe on the West coast in a collection with like 5200 original miles that has these "supposedly" OTC sidepipes. I think the exhaust was manufactured by "Kustom" mfg back in the '60s.
Late '68s were indeed built into August of '68 [img]
:iagree:

Absolutely correct.....had the n11's on my 68, till the exhaust system disappeared, daily driven for 3 years, all year round. I had the Customs, gave them away when they developed pin holes. The person still has the headers in his garage....if anyone is interested in the part number, I can get it....stamped on the exhaust flange

One other thing, the N11 exhaust were far from quiet...when parked between two houses and sitting, idling, the windows in the homes vibrated....

[Modified by GDaina, 11:47 AM 3/13/2003]
Old 03-13-2003, 12:19 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Late '68s were indeed built into August of '68 :D :D :D
Great information!! :cheers: :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To 68 production & off road exhaust questions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 68 production & off road exhaust questions