C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alt belt broke. Yank P/s pump to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 08:16 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Alt belt broke. Yank P/s pump to replace?

My alt. belt broke today, so I stopped by Autozone to by replacements for them all, since I'd have to remove them all anyway. The A/C and PS belts came off without a problem. The alt belt was broken so it was already off.
I have loosened the P/s pump and tilted it toward the crank pulley.

Here's the question: Do I have to take the power steering pump off completely to get the belt between the front cross member and the p/s pulley? There is very little clearance. The old P/S belt was very thin and slid between easily. The new one is thicker, I checked the fit in the pulley and it seems good. The old alt belt is thick too, so I know it's not a question of thicker belts.
:confused:
Old 03-12-2003, 09:08 PM
tippi58
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Alt belt broke. Yank P/s pump to replace? (isosceles)

Yep the alt belt cant fit over the ps belt.:pity:

Loosen the ps bolts enough to get the belt off and slip the alternator belt in.

You shouldnt need to take the whole pump off just loosen the bolts, remove one which allows the pump to have enuff slack to get the belt off the pulley.

:cool: :cool: :cool:
Old 03-12-2003, 10:23 PM
the_real_deal
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just got my moter back in my 76 and noticed the same clearence problems also..but i managed to get it (the psbelt) back on the pump by "walking" it back on the pump pulley by putting the belt in the groove of the pulley and spinning the pulley by hand..it was definately a tight fit but after some severe cursing i managed it..hope this helps... :smash:
Old 03-13-2003, 06:40 AM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried to walk it in, on my car it's just too close, even slightly prying back the pulley would not provide enough clearance without damaging the belt.

The loosening of the bolts sounds like it might work. I was looking at my assembly manual last night and Iwas dreading taking the whole pump off due to the tight fit surrounding some of the bolts. I'll try it again this afternoon using that technique. Maybe I can loosen it enough to use the walk-it-around method. :conehead

After reading some of the archived posts on belts, I sure hope Autozone sold me the right ones. I'll try to match them up as best I can to the old ones before I install them. The alt. belt is shredded (popped at 5000rpm) that one won't be easy to compare to the new one :skep:

Thanks for the tips! :hurray:

Get notified of new replies

To Alt belt broke. Yank P/s pump to replace?

Quick Reply: Alt belt broke. Yank P/s pump to replace?