C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'72 Corvette - Brake options

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 05:56 PM
AllZWay
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '72 Corvette - Brake options

Dad has a '72 he is putting back on the road. Currently it has the typicall pitted calipers that need resleeved.

Any other options available to him besides just rebuilt calipers?
Old 03-12-2003, 11:28 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: '72 Corvette - Brake options (AllZWay)

in the same vein as, "speed costs, how fast do you want to go?" yes, there are other options. the question is what is your dad going to do with the car? if it's just a driver or something he wants to restore to factory or near-factory correct, rebuilds are the best option. i don't recommend trying to rebuild them yourself, i've done this and had poor results. some have had good results but most who try this end up buying rebuilds later anyway.
if he wants to have some really slick stuff, there is the 'force 10' kit which has direct replacement aluminum calipers instead of the stock heavy iron ones. nice kit but the price is more than what *I* am willing to pay, about $1k.
there are other people who have fitted other aftermarket calipers and even c-5 calipers in place of the factory ones (i'm opting for the latter). currently there is no kit to do this to my knowledge although i heard that VB&P was working on such a kit for the c-5 calipers. if he decides to go that route, there will likely be a considerable amount of fabrication involved.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:18 AM
AllZWay
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: '72 Corvette - Brake options (clutchdust)

Thanks for the reply. The car will be mostly a weekend driver, but with maybe an occasional open track day at the road course. He is not going back all original, but mostly original looking.

I upgraded the brakes on my 96 Z-28 with a C5/Z06 kit and wondered if there was something similiar for the C3.

Get notified of new replies

To '72 Corvette - Brake options

Quick Reply: '72 Corvette - Brake options